Buddha of Bamiyan

With all the current discussion regarding Afghanistan, I'm reliving a trip back in 1971 to that country. I had a cheap film camera to "snap memories," not realizing what missed photo opportunities my future self would kick myself for! This is one of the 175 foot buddhas in Bamiyan that were eventually blown up. We actually got to climb a path up to the head of one of the buddhas where a local person unlocked a special door that allowed us to sit on the head and look out over the valley.

To get to Bamiyan, we rode from Kabul for about 16 hours, beginning in the middle of the night, on top of the very crowded roof of the bus. Because passengers were not supposed to be on the roof, we were dropped off a couple of miles from Bamiyan and had to hike the rest of the way. It's good to be young!

Buddha%201-2_edited-2%20copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

Seven years ago an Afghan told me there are more relics, some maybe even that size, that are buried that only the local Afghans know about. Those that know the location don't want to reveal it until they feel comfortable the relics will be preserved. In the mean time, replicas of the destroyed Buddhas are being built.

Incredible.
Thanks Rick!
Seven years ago an Afghan told me there are more relics, some maybe even that size, that are buried that only the local Afghans know about. Those that know the location don't want to reveal it until they feel comfortable the relics will be preserved. In the mean time, replicas of the destroyed Buddhas are being built.
This is all good news, Mike! Seeing those original statues and the caves they were intertwined with was one of the highpoints of my life. The whole trip to that country was an unplanned event, but that's another story!

An amazing adventure, Dossy!
And you did come away with a priceless memory.

I must admit I'm not that adventurous, even when I was so much younger than today :(

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom