Buenos Aires impressive bookstore

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by alexf, Dec 3, 2017.

1. 20170417_152134-Edit.

El Ateneo bookstore
    Buenos Aires

Built in an old theater. The stage is now used as a cafe.

(smartphone image)

2. It’s interesting that a bookstore could generate enough revenue to rent such a place. Impressive is right.

3. The movie theater has a grand history since 1919 as the "Gran Splendid". I remember watching first-run movies in that place in the 60s.
    Wikipedia link: El Ateneo Grand Splendid - Wikipedia

The bookstore is the biggest bookstore chain in Argentina, and has been in business for a long time. The place is a sight to see and a must visit there.
    Took my wife on our visit last April and she was awed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

It was truly impressive. I spent over an hour there...

5. You've been so scarce recently I was worried you'd gotten lost in there! (Like me at Powell's in Portland, OR).

6. LOL

I was lost in Powell's many moons ago too.

I am scarce too. Don't do much photography lately. Busy with other things. Still have lots of un-processed images.
    This trip was in April.

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I’ve been overseas for almost a month, LOL! Back home tonight...

8. Just saw that on another thread--welcome home!

• Like Like x 1
  9. That is a very impressive bookstore. My wife and I will be in BA Thursday, so if time permits I'll look it up.

10. Love that bookstore.
    One place where a fisheye pays off:
    Library.

11. That one is great Fred. Wish I had a Fisheye with me, sadly only a smartphone at the time.

12. Great shot

13. Wow...what an amazing place!

Glenn

14. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I love both bookstores and old theaters. Great shot of what looks like a unique venue.