1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Buffering question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by ladukebob, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Using an 8 Gig card with a speed of 15m/s my D90 takes about 33 seconds to buffer a 30 second exposure. My question is whether that's related to the memory card or the camera. Would it have a faster buffer time using a faster memory card?

2. Is this a really stupid question or do guys not know the answer. Sometimes I'm not sure :wink: About the question being stupid that is.

3. SRFast

SRFast

Feb 17, 2008
    New York City
    The D90 is SDHC compliant so buy an SDHC card. The SD card you're using isn't up to the task.

Regards...JL

4. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    8Gb cards are SDHC by definition.

5. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    I guess I really don't understand this. Are you talking about Long Exposure Noise Reduction? The camera retakes the photo at the same time length, but with without releasing the shutter. It's something to do with getting a reading of the amp noise. The camera can use that information to subtract the noise from the real information. I may have these details confused so do more reading.

You could try going to the Shooting menu and turning that off. I don't shoot long exposures, so don't know what results you will get.

I can say with some confidence that a 30 second exposure won't take any longer to write to the card than a split second exposure. The file size will be approximately the same size. I don't think your issue is the card choice.

6. Does your top LCD panel and inside your VF say "JOB NR" after you take the shot?

Shooting menu, Long exp. NR - turn this off

This is a dark frame NR that is the same length as your exposure, ala 30 sec.

7. The D90 has a max write speed of 9.5mps, therefore your 15mps card is not slowing down anything within your camera.

8. Damn! totally missed the fact that I had that turned on from last summer when I was doing 30 minute exposures. Turned off and it buffers a 30 second exposure in no time at all. Thanks.

Thanks

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.