Buffering question

Using an 8 Gig card with a speed of 15m/s my D90 takes about 33 seconds to buffer a 30 second exposure. My question is whether that's related to the memory card or the camera. Would it have a faster buffer time using a faster memory card?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is this a really stupid question or do guys not know the answer. Sometimes I'm not sure :wink: About the question being stupid that is.

Using an 8 Gig card with a speed of 15m/s my D90 takes about 33 seconds to buffer a 30 second exposure. My question is whether that's related to the memory card or the camera. Would it have a faster buffer time using a faster memory card?
I guess I really don't understand this. Are you talking about Long Exposure Noise Reduction? The camera retakes the photo at the same time length, but with without releasing the shutter. It's something to do with getting a reading of the amp noise. The camera can use that information to subtract the noise from the real information. I may have these details confused so do more reading.

You could try going to the Shooting menu and turning that off. I don't shoot long exposures, so don't know what results you will get.

I can say with some confidence that a 30 second exposure won't take any longer to write to the card than a split second exposure. The file size will be approximately the same size. I don't think your issue is the card choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I really don't understand this. Are you talking about Long Exposure Noise Reduction? The camera retakes the photo at the same time length, but with without releasing the shutter. It's something to do with getting a reading of the amp noise. The camera can use that information to subtract the noise from the real information. I may have these details confused so do more reading.

You could try going to the Shooting menu and turning that off. I don't shoot long exposures, so don't know what results you will get.

I can say with some confidence that a 30 second exposure won't take any longer to write to the card than a split second exposure. The file size will be approximately the same size. I don't think your issue is the card choice.
Damn! totally missed the fact that I had that turned on from last summer when I was doing 30 minute exposures. Turned off and it buffers a 30 second exposure in no time at all. Thanks.

Does your top LCD panel and inside your VF say "JOB NR" after you take the shot?

Shooting menu, Long exp. NR - turn this off

This is a dark frame NR that is the same length as your exposure, ala 30 sec.
Thanks

The D90 has a max write speed of 9.5mps, therefore your 15mps card is not slowing down anything within your camera.
Thanks

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom