Buffleheads....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These certainly aren't up to the standards of the D2X (and other) shots that have been posted here on the Cafe lately, but I had so much fun shooting these guys, and they are so cute, that I just had to post them.

I've never seen this species before, and I had to look them up in my Sibleys. I'm pretty sure that they are Buffleheads. They are only about 12 inches long, and have an extremely fast wing beat.

All shot with the D2H / 300mm f2.8, with either the 1.7 or 2.0 TC's.

A pair:
    [​IMG]

Take-off:
    [​IMG]

Grooming:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Frank

2. Frank, I liked this one a lot! It's rather comical the way these two are trying to make their takeoff.

All shot with the D2H / 300mm f2.8, with either the 1.7 or 2.0 TC's.

Take-off:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Frank[/quote]

3. Frank,

Great shots. I enjoyed the last shot of the birds scratching simultaneously. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Hey Frank - nice shots! The male has some interesting colors on the head (especially visible in that third shot).

What AF mode do you use for these outings?

5. Frank, those are some pretty ducks, wish we had some around here. I like the splashing in the last image.

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    That third shot is terrific fun Frank - well done.

The other two are fine shots as well!

Neil

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...

Considering that these birds stay way tooo far away from my D2X for me to capture them, I think that thet are either

A) Afraid of it
    B) There are too many MP giving off some kind of electromagnetic radiation that the birds can sense.

Honestly...I love these ducks. I just wish I could get close enough to shoot the suckers.

Perhaps a pocket full of crackers....

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have found ducks are not all that easy to get flying.

Good job, Frank.

Pretty ducks.

Cheers
    Gale

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David,

I agree on the color. It was partly cloudy, and these guys wouldn't get close, so it it was hard to see the iridescent color, especially with the bright white contrasting body.

I used the AF-C mode with single center sensor. I've tried the other sensor patterns, but seem to get the most consistent results on flying birds with the simplest, single sensor config.

Regards,

Frank

10. I have yet to see them around these parts. Love these shots!!!

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

You nailed the ID and the shots. Great, as usual. When I lived in Long Island about ten years ago I saw zillions of these cute little guys. Unfortunately I wasn't into bird photography then.

Cheers,
    Gordon

12. Canyonlu

Canyonlu Guest

Neat birds, Frank. I found a pair in a local pond, and also had to look them up. That colorful spot on their forehead is so pretty when the sun hits it. Love that #2 shot especially!

13. Great stuff sharp as a tack.... hoping to see a wider variety of birds aroudn here real soon.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Flew - Question about AF-C

Frank -

I just noticed your post on AF-C. I too use only the single center sensor because I tend to screw up any other setting. But have you tried the setting for AF-C that balances continuous with reasonable focus? I've found it really ups my success rate.

Gordon

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I have gone back and forth between shooting priority and shooting + focus priority (can't remember where I am now....;-)). The other thing that I have piddled with is the 'disable lock on' setting. I thought that I had that set to 'On', but when I checked it was not.

To make a long story short, I turned it on and I couldn't stay locked on at all, so I turned it back off. I think I need to experiment more with these settings, but in the heat of the shooting moment, you tend to go with what you are familiar with.

Thanks for the heads up. We probably need to discuss this in a full thread over in the technical forum, just to see what others are doing.

Frank

16. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice work Frank. :)

17. Hi Frank,

I was wondering if you could tell me the type of duck that looks like one of those wooden ducks. I have seen them but can't remember the name. I know this is generic but I don't have anymore info to add.

Nice pics and my favorite is the taking off flight one.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Melissa,

I'm not sure which ones your are referring to, but I would guess that you are talking about just plain domestic dicks. We have a few at the local pond. They are often white, right?

Regards,

Frank