Bug and a wasp..

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Aug 10, 2005.

1. The bug is with a Yashica 1.9 50 mm reversed and a 20 mm extension tube, and my reversed lens flash setup that I am still working on.
    [​IMG]

The wasp is with the 200 f4 micro + kenko pro 1.4 tc and the T. S. flash bracket.

[​IMG]

I think I am flnally getting the hang of using flash for macro, its taken me a year but I think its starting to pay off.

Martin

2. Excellent, Martin!
    The bug (juvenile stink bug) is extremely sharp and detail-rich. That can't possibly be better.
    The wasp could have done with a wee bit more DOF.
    Cheers

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent bugs Martin. You have the eye and snout of the first one right in the center of the focus, just where I like it. I hope the wasp was asleep. That's pretty close. 8)

4. Martin

Got to be impressed. The reverse lens technique is something I'm hoping to get to play with in a few weeks. If my efforts come out anywhere close to your then I'll be well pleased.

I would agree with Harry about the DOF on the wasp - just needs a bit more over the back of the head. Other than that - outstanding stuff.

I've looked at your flash bracket which is a bit more usable than mine. What settings are you using for your flash - I find that I get a lot of dark background where I'm pushing the speed up.

5. Excellent shots Martin....I do believe you have gotten the flash technique down pat !! :)

6. Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Simon the settings on the flashes on the top secret flash bracket is the SB-800 on ttl and the SB-600 on manual triggered by a sync cord. I use a home made snoot with a transparent side on the SB-600 this alows most of the light for the background but enough for shadow fill on the subject.

Martin

7. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Martin:

These are so good. Do you have a preference when shooting macros? Do you use different lens set-ups depending on the subject? I'm hoping that you will say one lens can do it all :D

I just got back from 2 weeks in Northern Minnesota and I'm just starting to catch up. Hope nobody minds me bumping threads.

Lisa

8. Hi Lisa, I like the reversed lenses for the fine detail that it can capture and because of the close working distance I can get softer lighting because the the light is bounced off the subject and back into the diffuser then back on the subject to nicely soften the shadows.

For when I need the working distance, larger or faster moving subjects I like the 200 f4 micro.

And the nice thing about the reversed lens setup is that its the cheapest way to go, you just need an old lens a reversing ring and a miilkjug to make a diffuser.

Martin