Bug eyed.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Some heavy crops from some 28 mm reversed lens work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you guess the creatures?

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    :eek: Martin, I sure hope you're making some money :Money: with the work you do on your macros. These are beyond incredible! :Smoking: You seem to be liking the reversed lens for macro work these days. What's your working distance with this?

I'm sorry I haven't a clue :Confused: :Unsure: what any of these are as I've never seen anything that close. If I had to guess I'd say the 2nd one looks like it may be a moth of some kind.

Anyway, these are just spectacular. :biggrin:

3. Wow, Martin, what detail! These are just incredible. Sorry I can't identify these. I haven't spent as much time as you have down on my knees. You are real artist my friend!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. This are way too cool.

Talk about getting close.

I would like to experiment with the reverse lens macro techniques. Do you worry about dust getting into your lens when you do this? And do you do these indoors? Working distance? And are those bugs alive and moving around or fixed to a spot? OK-Lots of questions. One more - What are doing for lighting?

Thx.

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Wow Martin!

I love all of your macro work, but these are just incredible! This is the type of macro work I would love to be doing.

I have no clue what any of these are seeing them this close. I was thinking the last one is a dragonfly and the next to last one was a bee of some sort, but the head is odd shaped so I doubt that is right.

What kind of 28mm lens are you using for this and is it hard to get a reversed set up working? I have an old manual focus Nikkor 28mm I was thinking of selling, but if I could use it to do some macro work similar to this, it would be worth a lot more to me than the money I would get from selling it. Especially since I can't afford a macro lens right now any way!

Thanks for sharing these awesome images,
    Joe

6. Martin...these are absolutely the ugliest bugs I've ever seen..:wink:..and some of the most stunning photography as well....you just keep raising the bar higher :smile:

7. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Simply amazing, Martin. No one can compare.
    Makes me want to pull out all of those film slides shot years ago with a reversed 28 mm and bellows setup. These were under laboratory conditions, however, so no comparison to your fantastic shots!
    J. Snider

8. Martin, that is a truly scary bug you have photographed so well. This bug could be the main character in the next horror movie. Well done.

9. cool shot. my guess is assasin bug eating a fly.

10. Wow! These are amazing!

Are the critters dead or pinned down? How on earth do you get so close and have them stay still?

Regards,
    Jonathan

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Awesome shots Martin. As for an ID, all I can say is it looks like someone that I dated in college. :eek:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bugggggsss

lol

They are great shots. Looks like the dragon eye in some. Not a clue about the light colored one, Moth ????

Come on give up the mytery :>))))))

13. Thanks Lisa, what you can make money doing this! All for fun but some day I would like to have enough good images to try the stock image thing, but that's a long way off.

The working distance is about two inches from the front of the lens.

The first one is a Crane Fly then a Moth, Beetle and a Damselfly.

Martin

14. Hi Virginia, thanks for the nice comment.

Martin

15. Hi Mark, I have noticed more dust but I have started blowing off the lens before I put it on, it is sealed once it is attached there is just more surface area for dust to collect when not attached with the reversing ring.

These were all outdoors on live active insects, the sunny part of the day is when most of the insects are out and about around here and the light helps with focusing when stopped down to f11.

The Working distance is about two inches from the front of the lens and I used a SB-800 for flash and a milk jug diffuser the flash is mounted on a "L" bracket attached to the tripod socket, the built in flash on the D70 works well for this also but has a slower refresh time and lacks 1/3 ev flash compensation when in manual.

Thanks!

Martin

16. Hi Joe, I use a Yashica 28 mm lens, its just a low end version but seems to work well.

For reversing a lens you need a BR-2a reversing ring that is made by Nikon, you can also make your own from a body cap and a 52 mm filter with the glass removed, just cut a hole in the body cap and epoxy them together.

A reversed 28 gives between 2:1 and 3:1 a 50 mm will give 1:1, I fine tune the magnification with extension tubes.

There are some drawbacks like all manual, no metering and your looking through the viewfinder with the lens stopped down.

Thanks for the comment!

Martin

17. Thanks Mike, that Crane Fly sure is strange, I have no idea how it uses those mouth parts!

Martin

18. Thanks Jerry, I have never tried a bellows, they seem pretty pricey but it would be nice to adjust the magnification without moving the tripod.

Dig them up, do you have any of them scanned, what kind of subjects were they?

Martin

19. Thanks Gordon, it does have a different look to it, I think there big enough I don't want to see any big enough to be in a movie.:eek:

Martin

20. Thanks Dave, its a Crane Fly, Moth, Damselfly, beetle, Damselfly.

Martin