Bug ID if you please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jryoung1947, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I thought this fellow was neat but I have no idea what it is :smile:

542747444_a659324d13_b.

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    It's called a scorpion fly. Don't know the latin name.

Nice shot.

3. I made a bet with myself I'd hear from you. THANKS!

4. Panorpa

Excellent shot.

Cheers

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    How much did you win. :biggrin:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shot Torben

7. Harry is right. Order Mecoptera. The wing pattern is very like our Panorpa meridionalis.

Now for some REALLY INTERESTING INFORMATION.

This is a female. The females are a bad tempered bunch and do not like males. They also suffer from what I know as the 'Headache' syndrome when it comes to sex, but the males are a dubious bunch and they have a trick up their sleeve. They spit out a global of a sugary sweet substance that the female loves, and while they, ( the female) are distracted in lapping this up the male has his 'wicked way with her.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I once tried this with a box of Black Magic Chocolate but all I got was a kick in the ribs. Ha well, you cannot win them all.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL Bob F.

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I'll never look at a panorpa with the same eyes again. :biggrin:

Bob, it SHOULD have been a big box of cream filled Danish chocolates. :wink:

9. So where were you when I needed you to come up with this information. Too little too late.:biggrin::biggrin:

Isn't nature full of weird and wonderful facts. This is why I find the whole subject so interesting.

BW. Bob F.