Bugs and Flowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Couple more of pollinators... . 1st one was cropped heavily. Guess D2X allows that with considerble flexability?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images.. Nice and clear.

good shots.
    I just love big ol' fuzzy bumble bees :>))

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Really nice, Jerry! You do some great work!

4. Bugs and Flowers??? What sort of subject line is that from a retired biology professor? :D

Nice shots Jerry. You do a great job of keeping the camera on plane with your subject in your macro shots.

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks folks. I really worked to blow out the reds in the first shot, no doubt! Am cropping too much as well. Also need to get away from these yellow flowers!!
    Jerry Snider

6. Lovely shots Jerry...the clarity of the bee in all the shots is amazing.

7. Jerry the are very nice, the one i like the most by order 3-2-1.

8. I love em. Very crisp and clean.

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks, folks for the input.
    Gilles, I agree with your ranking, however have now replaced the 1st photo with the original, uncropped, unrotated version. I now think that I like the 1st photo better than the 2nd. To me the profile has a "cleaner" look to it, although certainly is not composed very well. It was cropped too severely in the 1st post. I say this being well aware that these are only decent photos at best.
    Jerry Snider

10. Jerry is it possible that you change your last picture sometime this morning?

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gilles, I changed the bottom picture last evening, I believe. The top picture this morning.

I changed these on Smugmug.com and forgot that they would be changed on this site--a momentary lapse, I suppose. My apologies.

12. Very nice Jerry!

Well, you have to decide whether you want to expose correctly for the bees or the flowers.

13. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    True, Harry. And there is little doubt what I went for in these :lol: . I suppose that it is the taxonomist in me that wants the subject to be sharp and detailed in order to see the important characters. Too many years bent over the microscope :shock: , I'm afraid. I tend to oversharpen far too much, and all of my pics seem to look alike--too bright and a tad too sharp. However, since these are for my personal satisfaction I can live with it. Have to show them however in order to get valuable feedback.
    Thanks,
    Jerry Snider

14. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Jerry,
    can you show 100% crops please?
    I would like to see what the d2x can do, and re-sized for the web isn;t cutting it for me (your images are great, don;t get me wrong)

15. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    You're obviously asking someone who doesn't know how to use the D2X. However, attached are a couple of photos of the 1st bee above. These were shot at ISO 800, 100% cropped, sharpened in Photoshop ca. Amount 200, Radius 0.9. No noise reduction applied. The second photo is the same (not cropped identically, but 100% nevertheless) and Noise Ninja applied as well.
    Doubt that these will be of much help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

16. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    They tell me that I Wish I had a D2X.

Thanks!

17. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Here are two more, of my grandson. 100% crop, tripod mounted. The first is unsharpened directly from camera, normal sharpening in camera. The second is Photoshop sharpened as stated in the pic. ISO 200 may give you a better feel. Apologize for including these in the macro forum, but since the question was asked... . A radius of 1.3 seems awfully high and the photo is still not sharp, imo.
    Jerry Snider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Jerry,
    Thanks
    HAve you printed this photo?
    Ok, I think some better photographers thn me could comment more specifically, but...

considering we are looking at actual pixels, your shot here, say #1 would be almost a 20X30poster at full resolution or larger, which means the first picture is nearly acceptably sharp considering you should view the prints from a few feet.

Your sharpened pic looks way way too sharp, at least to me. Also, what is causing the noise under his chin, did you bump up the exposure in post or was the exposure nailed?

Thanks for any comments, I am not trying to pick apart your work, just understand the camera's output better, and also understand where you are coming form in terms of sharpness.

19. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Twig,
    Please believe me, you will never insult me with critical evaluations of my snapshots (would never call my stuff photographs to begin with!). It simply will not happen. I sincerely appreciate your comments.
    I printed out the original, sharpened pic at 8.5 x 11 and it looked decent--to me a tad soft but excellent color. The shot was taken midday, full sun, lots of contrast. This might explain the grainy shadows under the chin. Of course, this would also occur from oversharpening as well. Guess I am going to have to rethink my concepts over the past couple of decades of "tack sharp". I suspect that the photos I took over the years for use in research papers have too strongly influenced my day to day snapshots as well.
    If you ever get the time I would appreciate you browsing my ottercreek.smugmug.com site and tell me if most of those pics are way oversharpened. :oops:
    May have to rethink all of this all over again! When I get too old to learn I may as well give up the ghost!!
    Thanks again for the thought provoking input. REALLY do appreciate it!!
    Jerry Snider

20. some great thought just exchanged hands, thanks guys