Bugs in Backyard.....

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by MGlennn, Aug 8, 2005.

1. There are lots of dragonflies nearby, but they are very skittish and I have not had much luck in the past getting close to them (even with 200 f4 Nikon micro)....tried again yesterday and this unusual green one caught my eye...have not mastered getting the focus in the right spot yet, but working on it......

[​IMG]

He/she? mostly sat on rocks...this was the only shot I could get with him hanging on to anything else....not sure what he is....???

[​IMG]

Again on a rock...

[​IMG]

More common coloring.....

[​IMG]

Another clear-wing moth (have posted some of these before)...abundant this year....

[​IMG]

Little Butterfly...

[​IMG]

All with Nikon 200 f4 micro @ 1/250 and SB800 set to iTTL :)

2. You have put your 200mm micro to good use Mike. Nice series of shots.

3. Thanks Gordon...!!

4. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Great Shots... i am also learning the macro stuff.. i have found that it works best to focus for the eyes and let the rest fall in place.... hope this helps..

Tim

5. Like Pooh would say, "Could a dragon fly?". Wish we have more (if any) of these around here, but then again I have not been out hunting for them...

Great series of dragon Mike, and the moth and butterfly.

How fast is the focus on the 200 micro? Or are you using manual focus for these?

Regards,
    Jonathan

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Neat green dragon fly. I think I'd try to find him again. All I seem to see are of the blueish type.

7. Thanks Tim....was trying for the eyes..just haven't gotten that good yet...thanks for looking...!!

8. For these I used AF....it is pretty quick but sometimes gets confused and searches for awhile....if the subject is fairly stationary I use manual...thanks for commenting.. :)

9. First green one I've seen.... but, of course, can't claim to be an expert ...these are REALLY difficult for me....better for others...Kramp, Klaus, Flew.....etc :wink:

10. Using my newly acquired book on Dragonflies of North America
    I think that you will find the first is a female Eastern Pondhawk, (Erythemis simpliciciollis.) The second a female Twelve Spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella). Nice try.

The moths are nice to especially the Clearwing which is a species of Bee Hawk Moth, Hemaris specs. that I know as the Snowberry Clearwing.

BW. Bob F.

11. Thanks Martin....and thanks for the link !! :)

12. Thanks for the ID Bob and thanks for commenting..!!