Bugs (Literally) in my D2X!

When I first received my replacement body, on two occasions I has what looked like one of those "thousand leggers" go crawling across my field of view. I of course immediately looked at the lens and saw nothing...front or back glass.

Two days ago I saw another one..only bigger...and realized that the sucker was in perfect focus which meant he was in the camera! I even watched as he crawled out of view...I carefully removed the lens and peered inside...held it upside down on a 30 second exposure and hoped he's fall out. No such luck.

While it was a little unerving..it's getting more so as the last two times out, I've seemed to develop an intermittent back and forth hunting of the auto focus while in good light and on good targets. I wonder if the sucker is either sitting in, pooping on, or eating my auto focus components?

I absolutely dread the thought of having to try and explain this one to Nikon.

Hi Jim,

This is one of the more unpleasant reports I've read lately. Sorry to hear about the beasties inside the beast.

When I was shooting sunsets on the Maine coast recently there were so many mosquitos buzzing about that I really did consider whether some would fly into the body during lens changes.

Bug/insect bodies, dead or alive, cannot be good for the electronic innards of our machines. If I were you, I'd be wondering about the diet and breeding habits of those thousand leggers.

Good luck sorting it out. Anyone know a good exterminator service in the greater Haverhill area?

Best wishes,

David

I've read about this on other forums but with other insects. Try opening up the camera and placing some drop of honey nearby the entrance or some other foodstuffs they like.

urghhhhhhhhhhh

My wife was reading my shoulder, gave here the ebeegeebees.......LOL
45921607.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

man I hope you find a remedy to this situation.............. Im sure this isnt the first, but I hope its the last..........

you do find some unique situations Jim :wink:

Jim,

I am sure Nikon will be thrilled to hear from you again. lol

Better get er done. Quickly before you have to much damage.

I can't believe this....the luck you have had with this camera.

Jim,

Nikon's out to get you!!

I am sorry to hear this, it has to be extremely frustrating. I would at least write Nikon and let them know about it right away.

We bought a Toyota minivan recently and it came with a black cat inside. To make a long story short it took me one full day to get it out and the critter did so much damage to the interior that the dealer just replaced the car.

Let us know how you make out.

I have never heard of such a thing!!! But...our department took delivery of several weather warning sirens from a company in Texas. The sirens were assembled in AZ, then shipped to us. We warehoused them in one of the stations for the weekend...the next day...we had three tarantulas crawling around on the apparatus floor. So...anything is possible!!!

S

SysConsultant

If you can see it in "perfect focus" while looking through the viewfinder, it's probably crawling around on the focus screen. Try looking for it there. The procedure for changing focus screens on the D2X is documented in the owners manual. Look there for instructions on how to open up that part of the camera. Have a pair of tweesers or a blower bulb handy for extracting your many-legged pet.

Latest threads

Top Bottom