Build an eagle’s nest?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Well we did. Actually it was not the complete nest but the foundation. Here is the story. Back in 2001 we had this brand new pair of eagles settled in to a new location. Their very first nesting try. The tree they picked fell into the water with all their efforts but thankfully no young. They did not nest that year and no one knew where they went off.
    On this one-day my buddy and I were in the location looking for them when I spotted some sticks up in a big white pine. I placed my scope on the rack of my wagon and sure enough it was a new nest and maybe for use in 2002.
    It didn’t take long and the birds showed up and yes they did nest and my buddy got both band # in his telescope and it proved both birds were born in 1996 so this was their first nesting. The female’s birth nest was about a 100 miles from where they picked to nest while the male came from a closer location. This is normal for a female to nest further than the males from their birth nests and the nest the female was born in is one on my monitoring list.
    They weren’t very good at construction work and in 2003 I noticed the nest slipping toward the water. I took long rang photos of it slipping and sent them to Albany to the DEC. The nest finally did fall out in a strong wind after nesting in 2005.
    So on this very nice warm day in November 2005 a small group of people from the DEC and some volunteers and one guy to take photos met and we tried to build an eagle’s nest.
    Here is a slide show of the day’s work of some very good and dedicated people and the end results. I do hope you watch it, as it was a very rewarding experience.
    Lou
    Please click on link, http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600346254857/
    Than on slide show top right side above thumbnails. Speed can be controlled in bottom left corner of slide show window.

Could you let me know if this works OK for you in N.C. comments?
    Lou

2. Outstanding effort Lou, you and your friends are to be commended for your work.

3. Way to go Lou! Excellent story and documentation.

4. Thanks Fritz, lots of work building and lots producing this for a slide show. I actually took about 150 photos but I only used 39. You can not begin to imagine how I felt when I found that lone eagle roosting above the new platforn and looking it over after we had finished it. I just knew they would nest on it. Sometimes the stars line up don't they.:smile:
    Lou

5. Lou, it brought tears to my eyes seeing the rewards of all your hard labour. A HUGE thankyou to the whole crew!!!
    DELIGHTFUL!!!!!

6. Hi Nick, hey thanks for looking It was a great day doing that work but it was even greater when the birds came back and nested. They should be set for a long time on that foundation.
    Lou

7. Hi Sandi and yes this can really make you feel good about things. You know when I found the female was from a nest on my monitoring list I realized I must have known her when she was just an egg:biggrin: The birds have been doing well on this platform as they have quite a nice nest up there now. I hiked to the other shore and put my scope on them and O boy do they have some view out over the water and their taxes are really low:biggrin: Again thank you for taking the time to go through it.
    Lou

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that is just marvelous
    Thanks to you all for the hard work and devotion to bring back the Great Bald Eagle
    The picture are wonderful
    The view they have is fantastic

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  9. Gale Thank you for taking the time to go over what I felt was one of my most rewarding days working with our eagles. No words can describe how I felt when I was looking at one of them checking the platform out a few weeks later and when they took it over it was just like WOW we did that. Like I said to Sandi I must have known the female when she was just an egg.:smile: Again I thank you for taking the time to look
    Lou

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Lou
    That takes alot of time to put together and type all the text.
    I very much appreciate all you put into the nature and stories and pictures you prepare for us

THANK YOU

11. Thanks Gale, I have been doing this thing a very long time and I always felt from the looks of some of the eagle photos most people take be they pros or amatures will place getting the photo over the well being of the bird. I made this up from about 150 photos I took that day and the main reason was for the DEC Endangered Species group for education in power point shows for the public and school kids. I felt it would be nice to show it to some of the folks I know from the web also as maybe they would see it as you and a few others have, knowledge. I had this posted on the Fred Mirander wildlife also and 194 people opened the post but only 5 read it. I deleted it. It saddens me to realize that so few people that will drive hundreds of miles to try for a photo of the American Bird and than break the law to get it's photo would not bother to try and learn a bit about them. I also wonder if all the people that try so hard for this photo know what is happening this month to the eagle regarding Federal Law (June 29th.) and it's standing on the Endangered Species law? I hope all the photographers out there who want that perfect fishing photo of the eagle do get it and I also hope they realize just how much work went into getting the eagle for them. Thanks a bunch Gale and I really appreciate your feelings and understandings.
    Lou