Building a Monitor Stand - Step 3 - Finish!!

Real Name
Ken St John
Now you need a cup holder :rolleyes:

Gorgeous!

Hmmmmm. I have some nice pieces that may just be the right size. Stay tuned!!

I'm confused about the use of the Tyvek tape in post #10.....?

It's a good sealer to prevent leaks as the resin won't stick to the tape. However, I have also found that plain old painter's tape works about 99% as well and is a lot easier to remove!!

---
My wife liked my laptop stand so much, she asked me to make one for her Dell laptop from work. She'll be using it in her "home office" tomorrow!!
IMG_0398.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Her "slot" is a lot wider as her Dell is nowhere near as thin as my MacBook Air!!

She may need a little vertical stand to keep it upright ... if she does, I have a plan ...

Cheers!!

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hmmmmm. I have some nice pieces that may just be the right size. Stay tuned!!

It's a good sealer to prevent leaks as the resin won't stick to the tape. However, I have also found that plain old painter's tape works about 99% as well and is a lot easier to remove!!

---
My wife liked my laptop stand so much, she asked me to make one for her Dell laptop from work. She'll be using it in her "home office" tomorrow!!
View attachment 1676328
Her "slot" is a lot wider as her Dell is nowhere near as thin as my MacBook Air!!

She may need a little vertical stand to keep it upright ... if she does, I have a plan ...

Cheers!!

Ken
Thanks. So you put the tape down in the groove and then pour the resin. Once the resin tries you pull up the tape, remove the tape and place the resin back in the groove?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Notice that he wrote that the resin doesn't stick to the tape. So, my understanding is that the resin won't be removed once the tape is removed.
My whole statement was " So you put the tape down in the groove and then pour the resin. Once the resin tries you pull up the tape, remove the tape and place the resin back in the groove? " If he were to put the tape in the groove and then pour in the resin, then he would have to pull up the resin in the tape to remove the tape, then lay the resin back into the groove.

I think this unlikely, but was trying to clarify this step.

Real Name
Ken St John
My whole statement was " So you put the tape down in the groove and then pour the resin. Once the resin tries you pull up the tape, remove the tape and place the resin back in the groove? " If he were to put the tape in the groove and then pour in the resin, then he would have to pull up the resin in the tape to remove the tape, then lay the resin back into the groove.

I think this unlikely, but was trying to clarify this step.

Karen

Mike's right ... the resin is a liquid and is poured into holes or cracks. Often, those cracks go deep into the wood, sometimes all the way, and the tape prevents it from coming out the other side. In fact, I'm sometimes kind of shocked at how much resin it takes to fill what looks like a small crack. I usually mix in a small container that's about 4 oz of liquid. Several times, I have literally run out of liquid as it all disappeared inside the wood!!

The tape really keeps things tidy. I learned the hard way on an early project that even though the hole I was filling was on one side, the resin started seeping out on the other side from a little spot I could barely see. I hadn't thought about it since it was not close to being "underneath" the area I was working on ... it was about 6" further down the board!! What a mess that was!! Now I put tape on just about anything that even looks like it may be an opening!!

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen

Mike's right ... the resin is a liquid and is poured into holes or cracks. Often, those cracks go deep into the wood, sometimes all the way, and the tape prevents it from coming out the other side. In fact, I'm sometimes kind of shocked at how much resin it takes to fill what looks like a small crack. I usually mix in a small container that's about 4 oz of liquid. Several times, I have literally run out of liquid as it all disappeared inside the wood!!

The tape really keeps things tidy. I learned the hard way on an early project that even though the hole I was filling was on one side, the resin started seeping out on the other side from a little spot I could barely see. I hadn't thought about it since it was not close to being "underneath" the area I was working on ... it was about 6" further down the board!! What a mess that was!! Now I put tape on just about anything that even looks like it may be an opening!!

Ken
Ahhhh, Thanks so much! You put the tape on the underside of where you are filling the holes. That now makes sense. That is an important detail you didn't mention! LOL!

Real Name
Ken St John
Ahhhh, Thanks so much! You put the tape on the underside of where you are filling the holes. That now makes sense. That is an important detail you didn't mention! LOL!
Sorry!!

I also put it on the sides as sometimes a crack will show through there as well. This will leave a nice looking sliver of color on the edge like this ...
IMG_0400.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Although in this case when zoomed in this tight, you can also see a couple of spots where there were air bubbles that left some small indentations. In this case, I decided they were so small that it wasn't worth planing or sanding down the side to remove them!)

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom