Building a Nute-like Point and Shoot on Steroids? D60 and Sigma 30/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I am thinking of creating a Point and Shoot on Steroids, like our man Nute. I just picked up a D60 from another Cafe Member (thanks eparr!), and I am about to push the button on the 30/1.4 from Amazon. I guess I am a bit worried about getting one that has focusing issues. So, my question is:

Where did you get your 30/1.4?
    Did it have focusing problems?
    If so, did you have to send it to Sigma to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Craig

2. I'll follow this thread, Craig. My son has a d60 and I just talked to him about a Sigma 30/1.4 tonight.

3. Bill N

Bill N Guest

That should be a great combo, Craig! I picked up a used model and so far, so good. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As Nute has stated, just plan on sending the lens in to be adjusted. If you have that in your plans you then can be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't need it. I have more of a climb on the other end of the camera to get more "Nute like" photos. With practice I am coming closer. Nice to have something to aspire to though. He is a Nute after all. Good luck with your project, should be well worth the effort!

4. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    My son got one for his D40 (has now a D300) and I for my D80, both had no problems with focussing. We bought them here in the Netherlands :wink: I am loving this lens. Prefer the focal length over the 50mm.

5. 30/1.4

Craig,

I bought a Sigma 30/1.4 from Amazon at the end of July for $375. I have had no problems with the lens. The focus is right on and the lens is very sharp.

I had to get the lens after watching Nute and Uncle Frank post their 30/1.4 and 35/2.0 photos. Their lenses must be better because my photos don't look as good. Nute's 85/1.4 photos made me jealous so I bought a Nikkor 85/1.4 this week. It is a beautiful lens but, again, Nute's lens must be better than mine. Oh well, Christmas is coming and maybe I'll get a 70-200 that is as good as some I've seen here.

Dave

6. dsidote

dsidote

Aug 23, 2008
    Austin
    I picked one up from Amazon in June for my then D40. I have since moved up to a D300 and the lens gets quite a bit of use. I have tested the lens by shooting real world situations, as well as a focusing chart (trip pod with remote release at 45 deg and and at 90 deg), and the focus is perfect. Some people complain that the lens is a little big and heavy, and on the D40 it seemed nearly as big as the body, but I think it balances nicely on the D300.

7. How about a D50 with a 35mm f2? The camera wont be as small but the lens sure will be. I'll post some pictures of mine when the lens comes in.

8. Oh I just re-read that you already bought the D60. I'll still post a pic of the setup to compare :)

9. Craig- I have and love a Sigma 30/1.4. I bought it new here in Zürich and I have just added a couple of shots to the 30/35 thread.
    Maybe you should have your new lens shipped to Nute and ask him to add a little "magic dust" to it..................... seems that everything he touches is gold! :wink:

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Why not get a lens that you can use both on the D60 and the D700?

11. Craig,
    My point and shoot on steroids is my wife's "old" D80 fitted with the 35/2. It's a great combo, lightweight and capable of excellent quality, obviously. Similar concept to yours. Good idea!

12. Yesterday I was ...

Yesterday afternoon I was walking around with a D300 and 28/1.4 on it ... Does that count as a P&S on steroids like Nute? :wink::smile:

Kidding aside the P&S I use is an Olympus camera (Woooooo the infamy!!!!) One day I'll shoot as well as Nute wide open :rolleyes:

13. What do you suggest Phillip? The 35/2 has to be manually focused on the D60, and my old eyes won't allow for that with D60 viewfinder.

Craig

14. Yeah that makes a lot of sense -- and you get to use the 35/2.

Craig

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Sigma 50/1.4 :biggrin:

16. True, but 1) I have the Nikon 1.4 for my D700; and 2) that is a 75mm on the D60. I want a "normal" lens. On the DX, that means something in the 28-35mm range.

Craig

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Then the Sigma 24/1.8. Very nice lens!

18. Good idea. What's that go for? Does it have HSM, so it can work on the D60?

Craig

19. What are the options there? I was thinking and about all I can come up with is more zoom than the 30 sig.

There's the 60mm Nikon AF-S macro (that's a great one, but you're at 60mm (90mm on the D60) and 2.8 now. Then the 50mm Sigma (great pick, but now you're at 75mm on the D60....

What is there that has AF-S or HSM in the 28 to 35mm range?

20. What's up, Francis Joseph? The Siggy 24 is outside the 28-35mm range that Craig specified, and isn't HSM, so it won't focus on his d60. What's wrong with the Dirty Thirty? It seems like a great solution, and Nute has proven the concept.