Building a PC

After looking at Best Buy for a PC and not really seeing what I wanted. I decided to build one. Will be my first PC build so not sure on what all I need. Not sure about the hard drive yet. Usually when I download photos I keep them on the HD until I'm done editing them and then I transfer them to the external HD's that I have. I thought about using a 250g HD just for software etc. and then something to load photos/data to. Or should I just go with a 1TB for everything? What would everyone suggest for the HD?

Here is a list of parts that I plan on using:

Asus P8Z68-V-Pro motherboard
Intel i7-2600k CPU
Asus Xonar DG sound card
Lite On DVD Burner
Corsair H60
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 ram
Corsair AX750 or AX850 power supply
Corsair 600T LE case
Windows 7 64

Also can someone suggest some cheaper video cards. I'm using two 22" monitors now and plan on adding a 3rd later this year. Do plan on doing some HD video editing once I get a Go Pro.

Anything else that I would need to complete this build?

Get the 1TB. They aren't that expensive.

I use an nVidia GTX 460. It's moderately priced, ~$160-180. I'm not sure if I can recommend it if you're going to be using up to 3 monitors. But It should be fine if you are not running insanely demanding programs.

You may want to think about a SSD as a boot drive for your O/S and applications. And then use the 1 TB drive as a storage drive. Of course you can simply use two normal drives as well.

Either way, having a separate drive for your O/S and apps is not a bad idea. That way your data is kept separate, and should the boot drive fail your data remains safe.

Regardless of how you do it, always have and use a backup strategy of some kind for your data, be it an external portable hard drive, optical discs, online backup, USB flash drives, whatever. But use something. The reason being: all hard drives will fail. It's only a matter of when (typically 3 - 5 years).

Suggestion: Since this is your first build you may want to read up on installing a CPU and its heatsink fan. And unless you use the stock Intel heatsink and fan (they use a thermal pad that melts with heat) do not use too much thermal compound!

I got all of this stuff ordered:

Asus P8Z68-V-Pro motherboard
Intel i7-2600k CPU
Asus Xonar DG sound card
Lite On DVD Burner
Corsair H60
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 ram
Corsair AX850 power supply
Corsair 600T LE case

I think I'm going to go with a 60gb SSD and a WD 1TB HD. Which one does everyone suggest? Looks like alot use the OCZ Vertex 2. Only other things I will need then is a video card and Windows 7

The 60gb HD -after a windows
7 setup (and maybe few more programs),
you should check the remaining space-
and set the next setups for the second 1gb HD.

about the video card-
a video memory of 2GB is recomended.

also,think if you need a blu-ray drive.

A vertex 2 60GB is a pretty good bargain now, but a little small for my taste. Enough for OS and just some critical apps. Personally it I'd suggest Intel 80GB 320 series as an alternative. It's a few more dollars but it is a little bigger, and has a better reliability record.

You still haven't listed what your backup solution/setup is. You MUST budget for that as well.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My C: drive, with just Win7 and other software, no data at all, currently takes 90GB. Nowadays I would not install a boot drive of less than 128GB, and preferably 160GB. If you run out of space on C: you will be in a mess.

I have been comparing prices between the 60gb and 80gb SSD's. Looks like about $40 more for the 80gb Vertex 2. Will most likely end up going with a 80gb. I think Windows 7 64 needs 20gb of space so figured 80gb will be plenty since currently on both my PC and laptop I'm only using a little over 40gb on the HD's.

Currently I store all my photos on two externals HD's and usually also save them to either CD's or DVD's. Plan on adding other external HD's in the future.

Real Name
Matt
For video, why not get an SLI ready board, like the XFX 750I or similar that can be bought for around $100-200, and run dual video. You can run your two monitors. One for each card, without any quality deprivation between the two. Some boards will even allow for a 3rd SLI slot.

For the HD, run 1TB at a minimum. I know it sounds crazy, but if you're a photo pack-rat like me, it all adds up quick.

I would recomend the AMD HD6950 u can get it for under 300 bucks and its a hell of a card .. u can unlock the shaders and Mhz to match the 6970 .... i have the 6950 and have yet to find its limits ....... also look into a Thermalright Silver arrow cooler its the best air cooler on the market and SUPER quiet .. will keep that 2600k crazy cool... i have one on my AMD 965BE at 4.2ghz and doesnt break 48 degrees im well under 15 degrees of the safe zone for my CPU

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom