Building My House - Stage 1

Within a few days my "lot" went from having several trees to none...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It was exciting to watch some of the work in progress...

Brian, I like this please keep us updated about the progress in the construction.

Always wanted to build my own house but 1 square meter ground costs€ 500 around here!! In Amsterdam it's around € 1200 a m2

Congratulations on the new house, Brian. It looks like a nice lot with mature trees that will separate your home from your neighbors. Looking forward to your future images that document the construction. Best of luck to you and your family.

So nice to have a nice new home...

I am so sad about all those beautiful trees .....

H

Henk

WOW looks like a great place to live! congrats on the new house

Brian, you've shown us the truth about new construction. Destruction always precedes construction. Having your camera around is a great way to follow the progress and keep the memories. There is another advantage too. You can document things like the actual location of plumbing lines, utilities, studs, wiring, etc. I can't tell how handy this will be in later years when you want to know exactly where something is located because it wasn't specified on the plan or the contractor decided to do things another way.

Building your own home is a fun experience. You are fortunate to have the opportunity to do this. I hope you'll share your progress's with more interesting photos which tell the story of your new home.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stage 2 & 3

I appreciate everyone's comments!!! This has been a great experience and it has only begun. As far as the trees go, they were beautiful but too many pines for my taste. This also gives my family the opportunity to plant new tress together!

The bare lot...

first they marked it (with lye)

then they dug the footings

pouring cement

batter board and string

...continued...

now for the cinder blocks

framing begins at floor level...

and today the walls start to go up!

Wow, things are really moving along quickly, Brian. What date did you start and how long has it taken to get this far?

Pretty exciting, isn't it!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

P.S. Just love your pictures and watching your progress!

beaucamera said:
Wow, things are really moving along quickly, Brian. What date did you start and how long has it taken to get this far?

Pretty exciting, isn't it!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

P.S. Just love your pictures and watching your progress!
Thanks Virginia! Excavation began on August 4th. There has been a lot of progress so far but things will slow down big time once the roof goes on. We were told it will take 6-8 months for completion. We are very excited!!!!! This is the first home we have built, so it def. is a learning experience. We are having fun learning about construction and documenting it along the way. I am glad you enjoy it was well!

Brian

D

digitalfrog

That's a great idea.
I know nothing about construction and I already learned a bit just looking at your pics !

Thanks !

Ralph

...still building...

An update, as the framing is coming along and the house is taking shape...

They poured gravel in my garage, front porch, and rear patio

They then poured cement in the garage, front porch, and rear patio
(view from backyard)

they continued to frame, and eventually got to the 2nd floor
(side view from garage side)

I am really happy with the garage. It's over 38' long and with 10' ceilings, it looks huge. If the wife can't park in there - we have a problem!

view from road (front of house)

Last edited by a moderator:
...a few more...

The stairs will lead to this walkway, which will overlook the foyer on the front side and great room on the back side. The foyer and great room will both have 20+' ceilings

You will be able to look down into the great room, and see the fireplace, etc.

We designed the mid section downstairs to be really open, with few walls and high ceilings

The wife and I are still very happy. She is measuring for curtains and I am looking at all the roman noodles and water I get to feast on because I'm too poor to eat anything else!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JMartin

Wow Brian,

That house is HUGE! How many SF is it, if you don't mind me asking? It is so exciting seeing your house take shape, isn't it?!?!

Jennifer and I, being the practical type, used our money to put a down payment on having our first house built instead of spending the money on an elaborate honeymoon. It was so much fun watching it go from a pile of dirt to what we have now lived in for almost seven years.

Now with two little ones, we are out growing this one and considering buying another new build... but by the looks of yours, no where near that big :biggrin:

Oh and that garage :Shocked: can you say wowser!!!

thanks!

JMartin said:
Wow Brian,

That house is HUGE! How many SF is it, if you don't mind me asking? It is so exciting seeing your house take shape, isn't it?!?!

Jennifer and I, being the practical type, used our money to put a down payment on having our first house built instead of spending the money on an elaborate honeymoon. It was so much fun watching it go from a pile of dirt to what we have now lived in for almost seven years.

Now with two little ones, we are out growing this one and considering buying another new build... but by the looks of yours, no where near that big :biggrin:

Oh and that garage :Shocked: can you say wowser!!!
Hi Joe - the house is 3,796 sq ft. and the garage is 3 car, side loading (895 sq ft.) By far a lot bigger then I ever imagined. My wife and I's first house was about 1,000 sq ft. 10 years later and 3 kids later, we are very fortunate to be able to build this home. Avoiding the elaborate vacations (as you said) sure was worth being able to do this.

Glad you all enjoy!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom