Building the high speed train-line (huge)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by hans, Apr 1, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Our firm was called for help because there's a problem with one pier of the bridge,the foundation level is 1 inch decreased since the realisation and still decreasing.
    So brought my camera and walked the track for a few miles to end by the problem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

X 17-55 dx

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Hans,
    That is quite an undertaking. Good job. Images and color is teriffic.

Thank you much for sharing.

Regards

Nena's Auntie

3. Very nice images Hans. This is a far cry from the workers driving cletes into wooden tie's. Thanks for bringing us all up to speed.

4. Way to go Hans!! Nice images. Thanks for sharing this with the Cafe. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    What fascinating images Hans!

I nearly didn't look at this thread because of your "Huge" warning, but now I'm glad I did. There's something fascinating about the lines that the eye is led through. Well done.

Neil

6. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thank you all

Gordon my knowledge of the English language is failing to understand completely your statement can you explain?

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Hans :

Hmmm... Unusual subsidence.

Pier depth inadequate ? Voids under the pier base ? Is the subsidence on a water pier or a land pier ?

Always fascinating to try and think these things through.

And great shots, BTW.

John P.

8. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    John

It's on a water pier,foundation is 8 steelpiles approx. 40meters diameter
    1820 with a concrete top on it.
    No disruption in soil investigation,have to check the pile reports yet
    but speaking with the piling crew that pier had a low blow count.......
    (IHC sc 280)

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Hans :

Hurm. Not my side of engineering normally, but doesn't that indicate low bearing capacity ?

Blow counts I've encountered were the American standard for this, "The number of blows of a 140-lb. hammer falling onto drill rods from a height of 30 inches it takes to advance the split barrel sampler a distance of one foot."

Wouldn't finding a low blow count normally call for remedial action to address this before the final piling/pier construction ? I'm a bit puzzled...

In any case, good photos for the case study. It made me think on a Sunday morning.

John P.

10. In the old days they had tons of workers that would lay wooden tie's crosswise with the rails on top of them and then drive large nails or cletes to cinch the rails to the wooden tie. The high speed trains are a far cry from that era.

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Understood, thanks Gordon