1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Built-in flash with CLS

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by TDSapp, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TDSapp

TDSapp

Dec 13, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    When shooting using CLS is there a way to set the built-in flash to NOT flash? I get some weird shadows when I shoot in portrait mode with my 800 on top of my bracket. It appears that the built-in flash is going off as well and with it being on the side of the camera it does generate some shadows on the wall from time to time.

Most of my shooting is done outdoors or with an AB so I don't have to shoot with this 800 often but there are times that I really love it.

Tim

2. Select "--" as the mode for the internal flash. It will still flash to command the remotes to fire, but at a very low power.

3. TDSapp

TDSapp

Dec 13, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I will give that a try soon... Thanks!

Tim

4. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    or try auto fp mode. test it out in front of a mirror to see.

5. All that would effect is the max sync speed. The popup would contribute as before.

6. ddrg

ddrg

Jul 3, 2006
    Check out this thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=180430.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    try it out.

8. Why me? :rolleyes: 

I just did. There was no difference whatsoever. Now the ball's on your side of the court.

9. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    Please excuse the dirty mirror.

1: F8 1/160
    2766769100_64ba688186_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2: F2 1/320
    View attachment 238380

3: F5.6 1/1600
    View attachment 238381

Full EXIF is included for your view.
    D300, SB-800, Flash on "---"

Your turn to prove me wrong.

10. I've got no interest in doing that, LT. Light from the popup showed clearly in each of my shots, but that may be because I set up my experiment differently, keeping aperture, shutter, and iso constant between shots.

11. ddrg

ddrg

Jul 3, 2006
    I assume you had your camera set to FP mode for the 1/320 and faster shots - correct? (I ask because I'd like to understand if their is a difference versus not in FP mode when using wireless CLS. With my D80 when not in FP mode, as I previously posted, you can clearly see the D80's flash firing.)

12. Loud Tiger's examples had me scratching my head. He's clearly made his point, but the remote had to receive a visible light signal from the popup while the shutter was open to know when to fire. I believe I found the answer in Ken Rockwell's discussion of fp mode.

So in Loud Tiger's example, the signal from the popup took place while the slit was traversing the upper (or lower) part of the frame, and by the time the slit reached the middle of the frame, where the popup was located, it had already fired its command.

The popup showed up in my test shots, even those taken in fp mode, because I shot in aperture priority mode, so the camera kept my shutter speed at 1/60. The differences in our test results confirms a theory we've had about fp mode. Apparently when the fp mode is selected for max sync speed, the camera only uses it when it's needed, which means at shutter speeds above the camera's native max shutter speed.

This is interesting stuff, and helps me understand fp mode better. Perhaps Loud Tiger can demonstrate otherwise, but I don't believe his technique will work for shutter speeds below the camera's max sync speed. So it entails shooting indoor pictures at high shutter speeds, eliminating contribution from the room's ambient light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.