1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bull Elk

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bsinc1962, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Went to Yellowstone for the weekend to catch the early part of the Elk Rut.

Managed to catch this Bull Elk crossing the Madison River at sunrise.

Bull Elk Crossing the Madison.
    NIKON D5    500.0 mm f/4.0    500mm    f/4.0    1/640s    ISO 125

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Beautiful - love the light in this.

3. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Nice catch (y)

4. 'tis the season. Elk, mist and bugling. Great shot

5. He was following a cow and once she decided to cross I knew he was going to cross too. Gave me a few minutes to nail the settings. I have a bunch of pictures to go through.

6. Fog adds to this order full image.

7. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Really a nice shot. A good example of how effective backlighting can be. Well done.

8. Thank you. Chilly morning but worth it.

9. Thanks. I kept moving up river to try and get more of that back lighting. There were other photographers there but they chose to stay put and get more of a head on shot.

10. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Good choice IMO. In my experience when photographing around other people it almost always pays off to do something different than the crowd.

11. What superb setting for this magnificent animal. Overall and excellent image.

12. Thanks Louis.

Thank You!

13. A few more from the set.

Bull Elk in the Fog.
    NIKON D5    500.0 mm f/4.0    500mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    ISO 720
    Bull Elk on the Madison.
    NIKON D5    500.0 mm f/4.0    500mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    ISO 250
    Bull Elk Creeping.
    NIKON D5    500.0 mm f/4.0    500mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 125

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    #1 in the 2nd set might be better than the very 1st image (and it was a 10)

15. Thanks Randy. The only thing missing is him bugling which he didn't do at least while I was there.

16. These are terrific images, all of them. I love seeing the elk in the rut. The mist and backlighting just add to these.

17. That first shot in this second group, is outstanding.

18. Thanks Louis. I was hoping to not only capture the Elk but the environment of the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.