Bull elk .....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Keith, Aug 1, 2005.

1. got bored for alittle while today so did some processing. Here a few rare pics of bull elk. We saw very little for bulls, but allot of cows and calves. Another month or so when the rut starts, will be a whole new ballgame :)

original.

original.

like the scenic touch
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Moose Peterson, eat your heart out.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Unbelievable.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

HA! That is just what I was thinking.

Keith, great captures!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looking at these again. Wonder how they carry those heavy racks around. Actually fighting with them.. Wow..Amazing creature.

5. Wonderful they sure are majestic animals , I really like the first on a lot

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Outstanding images Keith. Where were these taken?

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Wow! I like them all. Number three looks almost like a painting. It would make a great poster. Was he bellowing in number two? or just an elk burp?

John

8. Great images Keith. It's amazing that you could get that close to a bull. Only once in my life (outside of Yellowstone) have I managed that.

9. WOW, thank you Gale and Patrick, dont know about that LOL........we get lucky once in a while!! you made my day though :D

10. There is much bigger out there. LOL..........I hope to find out this fall if I can photograph dominant bulls taking on some challengers, now wouldnt that be cool!!!

11. Thanks Mike, that is my favourite too............seem to have the same taste in what we like. .................who woulda thought! LOL

12. Just inside Jasper National Park about 50km east of Jasper. We were driving up to the hot springs 20kms off the beaten path and found him in a field..............beautiful scenery..........

thanks Frank.....

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet shots, Keith. I am amazed how close you got to them, cropping or no cropping. Those images are so awesome. Beautiful country up there!!!

14. No bellowing, not for another month or so. Believe he wsass chewing his cud......LOL................these guys are still in velvet........Im hoping for a late winter, keep that velvet on. :wink:

15. Keith, these shots are fantastic! I'm amazed at how you make your subjects appear 3-dimensional. Care to share your secrets? ;)

16. Not that I want to advertise as it does not seem socially acceptable these days, but being an outdoors person in the fall if you get my drift out with the bow, you have to get that close. The only difference is I have yet to see a bull this size that time of year. LOL

17. Thanks for the kind comments Frank.......... I just cant compete on the birdy front. LOL!!!!

18. These shots are fantastic!!! And these elk are a lot better looking than moose!! *LOL*

19. Sorry Kevin, missed your post. Wish I could tell you there was a secret, but notta ......... I can say I pay particular attn to my positioning in taking the shot to allow me the shallow DOF. Many shoot f8-f11. I try to push the envelope at f4 - f5.6 but still get what I want in focus yet pay particular attn to the background........ I have allot of blubs but when it works, its worth it :wink:

20. Thanks Sandy...........that is on my to do list, I have yet got a picture of a moose I like. Would like to get one in a swamp, close up!! Fall is coming :) yet im in no rush. Thanks for looking!