Bull Snake

D80, Nikor 70-300VR (ED) and in RAW. Cropped and changed WB to 'sunny' during PP (forgot when I was in the field and was set to Auto)

This long rascal was laying in the road,,,,he nearly became road pizza.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/800, F7.1, 70mm, ISO200

Seems to me the focus is soft except on the eye? For some reason when photographing snakes it seems I have a huge focus problem Could be the adrenaline, or is it a depth of field problem and my focus is not where I think it is?

1/500, F5.6, 1/500, 300mm, ISO200

And here he is doing his buzzbutt (rattle snake) impersonation. I had kicked a bit of dirt in his face as he was trying to crawl off the road before I was done with the photos. He chased me about 5 foot and then changed course. By the time I got my nerves back, his head wasn't as triangular shaped as when he was really mad.

1/800, F7.1, 70mm, ISO200

no offence but what was you smoking lol..............taking a picture is fine but kicking dirt in his face, thats crazy. nice pictures BTW.

Love those bull snakes!

The softness may come from the shallow DOF inherent with close up work. If you move your body even slightly things go away quickly.

Shootin' snakes ain't easy but you did pretty darned good!

f8 or f11 helps if you've got the shutter speed. Bull/Gopher snakes, are great snakes keeping rodents down. Love the perspective of the first one.

Nice shots. I have some of the same probs when photographing snakes. Shallow DOF and adrenaline are the usual suspects!

And it gets complicated when the darned things won't sit still and pose properly! Bull snakes have little appreciation for the finer points of photography ;)

Here's a few using a Sigma 150 f/2.8:

That's amore!

Holy smokes Holmes, just how dang brave are you? No way I could get that close to a bull snake with a 150, my 300mm wont get that close with me behind it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That first shot with the dirt or whatever on his head is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

judging by the dirt/rocks below the snake, I'd say your focus pt was slightly in front of the snakes face....could be he or you moved just a touch...its really easy to lean a bit one way or another after locking on...esp close up like that
bb

Holy smokes Holmes, just how dang brave are you? No way I could get that close to a bull snake with a 150, my 300mm wont get that close with me behind it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That first shot with the dirt or whatever on his head is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
Thank you.

I spend a great deal of time with snakes so my comfort zone is appreciably different from most :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom