1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bull Snake

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by quest4quail, Aug 17, 2009.

1. quest4quail

quest4quail

Jul 6, 2009
    Clovis, NM
    D80, Nikor 70-300VR (ED) and in RAW. Cropped and changed WB to 'sunny' during PP (forgot when I was in the field and was set to Auto)

This long rascal was laying in the road,,,,he nearly became road pizza.
    29bulllengtha.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/800, F7.1, 70mm, ISO200

Seems to me the focus is soft except on the eye? For some reason when photographing snakes it seems I have a huge focus problem Could be the adrenaline, or is it a depth of field problem and my focus is not where I think it is?
    31bullheada.jpg

1/500, F5.6, 1/500, 300mm, ISO200

And here he is doing his buzzbutt (rattle snake) impersonation. I had kicked a bit of dirt in his face as he was trying to crawl off the road before I was done with the photos. He chased me about 5 foot and then changed course. By the time I got my nerves back, his head wasn't as triangular shaped as when he was really mad.
    35bullcockeda.jpg

1/800, F7.1, 70mm, ISO200

2. jp450r

jp450r

Nov 15, 2008
    USA
    no offence but what was you smoking lol..............taking a picture is fine but kicking dirt in his face, thats crazy. nice pictures BTW.

3. I'm not a fan of snake, but good shots.

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Love those bull snakes!

The softness may come from the shallow DOF inherent with close up work. If you move your body even slightly things go away quickly.

Shootin' snakes ain't easy but you did pretty darned good!

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    f8 or f11 helps if you've got the shutter speed. Bull/Gopher snakes, are great snakes keeping rodents down. Love the perspective of the first one.

6. Nice ones. The focus issue is as Holmes said. If you shot RAW and have CNX2 or ViewNX you can press Ctrl-F to see where the focus point was.

7. quest4quail

quest4quail

Jul 6, 2009
    Clovis, NM
    Thanks for the replies and assistance.

8. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    Nice shots. I have some of the same probs when photographing snakes. Shallow DOF and adrenaline are the usual suspects!

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    And it gets complicated when the darned things won't sit still and pose properly! Bull snakes have little appreciation for the finer points of photography ;) 

Here's a few using a Sigma 150 f/2.8:

p473705134.jpg

p510573257.jpg

That's amore!
    p361445264.jpg

10. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    Nice shots! Looks like they're getting a little freaky in the high grass! :) 

11. quest4quail

quest4quail

Jul 6, 2009
    Clovis, NM
    Holy smokes Holmes, just how dang brave are you? No way I could get that close to a bull snake with a 150, my 300mm wont get that close with me behind it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That first shot with the dirt or whatever on his head is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

12. photobrad

photobrad

Oct 1, 2008
    Florida
    judging by the dirt/rocks below the snake, I'd say your focus pt was slightly in front of the snakes face....could be he or you moved just a touch...its really easy to lean a bit one way or another after locking on...esp close up like that
    bb

13. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you.

I spend a great deal of time with snakes so my comfort zone is appreciably different from most :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.