Bumble Bee in Flight? or is it?

I am surprised there is no comment yet. So I'll start.
Lovely picture! I have tried my hand shooting bees, and my results are nowhere near this good yet. An image as lovely as this inspires me to keep on trying.

I am surprised there is no comment yet. So I'll start.
Lovely picture! I have tried my hand shooting bees, and my results are nowhere near this good yet. An image as lovely as this inspires me to keep on trying.

Thank you so much for getting this going Juanmanuel. It is one of my favorite bee pictures. It was very though but I'm glad out I got one in focus!! I was using a monopod and being extremely patient. These specific types of bees are very fast and bit scary with all that humming!! I wonder if they can sting??

Not only is it a great bee? in flight, but I love how its colors mimic the flower and the background. Very cool shot, Manny!

Thank you Dossy. I do like that too and wish the branch/stick on the background behind the bee was not there. I would have preferred it all dark. I'm sure it is an easy fix in post processing but I'm not that talented.:smile:

Great catch. These are hard to catch in flight and takes skill, patience and a bit of luck....nice work.

It appears to be a carpenter bee, not a bumble bee. Bumble bees are "hairy" on both the thorax and the abdomen whereas a carpenter bee (which looks nearly the same) is hairy on the thorax but not on the abdomen. Yours appears to have no hair on the abdomen...though a bit hard to tell in this shot for sure. Again nice grab!!

Thank you Nates. I knew you could shed some light as to what it is. I'm curious now. I have to go back to that folder and check the rest of the picture out. I can't recall if they were "hairy" in both places. Crazy how so little difference in so tiny creatures can make such a difference. Thanks again for the comments.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom