Bumbles and Mothras at the Bee Balm

Bumble Bee Bumble Bee.....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mothra (Clearwing Hummingbird Moth) My favorite insect.

View attachment 218761

View attachment 218763

View attachment 218764

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wow...
incredible imagery
standout results

thanks for sharing them with us
Thank you so much!

Dr A - These are stunning. 1 & 3 would go on my wall if these were mine.
Thank you. I have the printer, paper, mat, frames. What I don't have is a lot of wall space left:frown:

Argent - wow what a cool looking moth!

great shots Birgit
Thanks, they are so cute. I actually have had folks tell me they are baby hummingbirds:biggrin::biggrin: I and don't know which is faster on the fly.

lanthier Birgit, these are fantastic.
Thank you. I used my 300 f/4. Normally I would use a 200 f/4 micro.

Spectre - Birgit,
These are wonderful. Very nicely done.
Thank you!!

Great shots. I saw my first two clear wing hummingbird moths last year and find them amazing little creatures. I know how hard it is to track them and how difficult it is to stop the wings in motion as you have done in #4. That one would definitely be hanging on my wall.

Excellent shots. I tried some bumbles the other day, and ended up deleting every single one of them. They move too fast for me.

Interesting moth. Never seen anything like that before. I can see the resemblance to a hummer. What kind of shutter speeds did you use, and did you use flash?

Excellent shots. I tried some bumbles the other day, and ended up deleting every single one of them. They move too fast for me.

Interesting moth. Never seen anything like that before. I can see the resemblance to a hummer. What kind of shutter speeds did you use, and did you use flash?
I took the pics at different times, starting at I/640 and ending at I/1600 and even up to I/1640. The first shots were not getting the wings, so I upped the speed. I used my D300 and 300 f/4. I have taken shots of these moths before using at 200 f/4 micro and did not need to have such a high speed. Interesting. I did use flash on some of the shots, have not yet uploaded those. I like the fill flash which will give you the eye glint!

Oh yes, I have deleted a few of the shots too:tongue:

This is an excellent series, Birgit. I love the pictures of the hummingbird moth. The first image with the Bumble bee is a standout also. Thanks for sharing them.

What a great set of Images, love the moth but never seen one, the Bee is incredible!

Tried some Macro work with a 600 today and I don't know how you all do it, 3 hours, sun burn and 0 images!

Thanks for posting.

Darrell

Super series. I love #1 and #4 the most.
Thanks Torben

BUCKEYE BIKER This is an excellent series, Birgit. I love the pictures of the hummingbird moth. The first image with the Bumble bee is a standout also. Thanks for sharing them.
Thank you

WHISTLING_WINGS What a great set of Images, love the moth but never seen one, the Bee is incredible!

Tried some Macro work with a 600 today and I don't know how you all do it, 3 hours, sun burn and 0 images!

Thanks for posting.
Thanks Darrel. My favorite for macro is a 200mm f/4. I just took some more of the "moth" but have yet to PP them.

Great series Birgit!! I have never seen white bee balm before! It's beautiful. The clearwing is amazing. I saw my first one of the season on the 4th of July. I haven't been able to photograph him since then. I look forward to more images.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom