Bumbles and Mothras at the Bee Balm

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by OHcorgis, Jul 12, 2008.

1. wow...
    incredible imagery
    standout results

thanks for sharing them with us

2. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    These are stunning. 1 & 3 would go on my wall if these were mine.

3. wow what a cool looking moth!

great shots Birgit

4. Birgit, these are fantastic...

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Birgit,
    These are wonderful. Very nicely done.

6. Thank you so much!

Thank you. I have the printer, paper, mat, frames. What I don't have is a lot of wall space left:frown:

Thanks, they are so cute. I actually have had folks tell me they are baby hummingbirds:biggrin::biggrin: I and don't know which is faster on the fly.

Thank you. I used my 300 f/4. Normally I would use a 200 f/4 micro.

Thank you!!

7. Great shots. I saw my first two clear wing hummingbird moths last year and find them amazing little creatures. I know how hard it is to track them and how difficult it is to stop the wings in motion as you have done in #4. That one would definitely be hanging on my wall.

8. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Excellent shots. I tried some bumbles the other day, and ended up deleting every single one of them. They move too fast for me.

Interesting moth. Never seen anything like that before. I can see the resemblance to a hummer. What kind of shutter speeds did you use, and did you use flash?

9. Wow Birgit those are great, i got some shots one time, but nothing like this.
    I agree with Jeff, #4 is a wallhanger for sure.

10. I took the pics at different times, starting at I/640 and ending at I/1600 and even up to I/1640. The first shots were not getting the wings, so I upped the speed. I used my D300 and 300 f/4. I have taken shots of these moths before using at 200 f/4 micro and did not need to have such a high speed. Interesting. I did use flash on some of the shots, have not yet uploaded those. I like the fill flash which will give you the eye glint!

Oh yes, I have deleted a few of the shots too:tongue:

11. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Super series. I love #1 and #4 the most.

12. This is an excellent series, Birgit. I love the pictures of the hummingbird moth. The first image with the Bumble bee is a standout also. Thanks for sharing them.

13. What a great set of Images, love the moth but never seen one, the Bee is incredible!

Tried some Macro work with a 600 today and I don't know how you all do it, 3 hours, sun burn and 0 images!

Thanks for posting.

Darrell

14. Thanks Torben

Thank you

Thanks Darrel. My favorite for macro is a 200mm f/4. I just took some more of the "moth" but have yet to PP them.

15. Great series Birgit!! I have never seen white bee balm before! It's beautiful. The clearwing is amazing. I saw my first one of the season on the 4th of July. I haven't been able to photograph him since then. I look forward to more images.