Bummer - Botulism !

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by GaryW, Oct 30, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I had a great idea (I thought). I made bottle labels out of a picture I recently took in Italy, and made dipping oil to give to friends. I made it with olive oil, raw garlics, rosemary, and an arbol chile.

Here is one of the labels (each label had the friend's name on it).

[​IMG]

and here is a filled bottle:

[​IMG]

After handing my bottles out to several friends, I read that putting raw garlic in oil can facilitate botulism (if the garlic had any on it to begin with). Not wanting to make my friends sick (or worse), I called them and asked them to dump it out.

Warning: Research your subject first.

Gary

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Yes, what a shame.

I'm no expert so I don't know how real the risk is and how much is theoretical.
    I know I see garlic in oil in stores, being rather tasty and quite trendy.

Clostridium botulinum is an anaerobic organism. Fresh garlic has the potential to harbor its dormant spores. I believe the oil immersion creates a oxygen-scarce milieu where the organism has been found manufacturing its nasty little molecule and human cases of exposure to the toxin have been reported, most recently about 15 years age, so the risk is real.

Apparently salt eliminates the risk when prepared properly commercially.

You did the right thing.
    My suggetion...procede with the well conceived idea for your shot.

Mix up some dried pepper and salt and spices in one container adorned with your photo. Pair it with a nice separate bottle of a good olive oil. Mixed on the table it is my favored bread-dipping treat...being better than the pre-infused oils, in my humble fledgling culinary opinion.

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Gary,

Great label and idea. Good move on the recall. Let us know how your future bottling experiments work out. It looks like an excellent label. Very professional.

5. Very nice label and pictures. Sorry it didn't work out.

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gary,
    I'm sorry to hear you found out too late about the Botulism regarding raw garlic and making your own oil. A really simple way to get around it is this....Use dried garlic...not garlic powder, and not garlic salt...Dried garlic. It closely resembles dehydrated onion flakes...about the same size and color. You can use about a Tablespoon in place of one or two garlic cloves in your oil. Another safety precaution is to slighty heat the oil (don't let bubbles for, just warm it a bit) with your flavoring additions in it. One upside to using dried garlic instead of raw garlic is that it should flavor the oil quicker (ie, less wait time till you are able to use it).

If you try this, let me know how it turns out for you.

Cheers!

7. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Wow. Thanks for all of the sympathies and compliments on my label.

I really like Vernon's and Leigh's suggestions.

I like Vernon's because that would enable me to have TWO photos on my labels, because I would have two bottles.

I like Leigh's because it seems it would be similar to what I was trying to achieve, but safer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your compliments and advice. I will let you know what I end up doing.

Gary

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gary,
    Great images, labels and idea.
    I like Vernons Idea as well. :>))

That was quite a process with he labels. Followed that thread and the italian to go on the bottles :>)))