Buncefield Oil Fire, Hemel Hempstead UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeterRH, Dec 11, 2005.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Less than a couple of hours after the massive explosion that quite literally shook my house (and I live 7-8 miles away). It was heard for at least 40 miles in all directions and is already being claimed to be the largest ever explosion in the UK.

A view of the plume of smoke that is even now blackening the sky, from a completely closed M1 Motorway.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow is all I can say.

Terrible happening.

Good image, even see a birdie in that bush.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What an environmental disaster!! :frown:

Good capture though. :smile:

4. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks

We're still unsure about even venturing outside now with the kids (the plume of smoke contains goodness knows what). Completely covering an area equal to something like the size of Greater London already.

It was pretty dark when I took the pic, so blended 5 images to maximise dynamic range.

D2x, 12-24 Nikkor @ f/5.6 (varying shutter speeds down to 1/50 sec) at ISO400

5. Awesome capture.

Watched it on TV also. It's a huge disaster.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Peter, there's rain forecast later, close everything down and stay inside. It's not going to be pretty for a couple of days until it's under control. Good luck.

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks for the warning - I checked after reading this and they are saying on the news that we're likely to get 'dirty rain' carrying some muck down from the explosion.

Sounds like the sort of stuff I'd expect to hear after a nuclear explosion! Anyway I think we'll get ourselves closed up tight and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Peter

8. Wow! I totally missed this. Glad you are ok and such.

What happened here? Guess I need to watch the evening news tonight.

Oh and as far as the pic - there is not one car on the road is that cause they closed that road?

Just went to Cnn - I guess it was an accident but, you are right very big explosion.

9. dont know what to say here except I am glad you are all right. Hope it does not cause terrible environmental harm.
    Good job on the blending of the images, came out very nice.
    Dave

10. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Pic being used it seems

I've seen this pic being used by BBC as a lead image on the local area news web site and Sky News (with permission).

I was also interviewed by BBC Radio 5 live...so it seems this is my 15 minutes of fame.

11. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Nice to know you can beat the pro's.....

....there was a photographer beside me on the same bridge when I got my shots, turns out he was from AP:

Time Europe

I like to think mine was better, and I got mine into the news faster...but then he most likely got paid for his efforts so who was the real winner!

12. What a terrible disaster. Hope for the best for everyone affected!

Bohdan Bob Tkaczyk

13. What a mess! Great shot -- almost looks like a tornado. Hope all is OK for your family.

Paul

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I believe your image and composition i far superior to the one being used.

Sorry it was not yours.

good job.

15. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Great shot and I hope you get the recognition you so clearly desere for it. Thank you for posting it.

16. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Latest weather update Peter, warm but overcast.:Shocked:

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

That's cool (although the reason for the picture is not good). At least you captured the moment.

Way to go. :wink: