Black and white or color?

• B&W

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Color

• I like both

• Total voters
This is a scene from a nearby wild fire that burned nearly 15,000 acres.

I really like the color version, but I also like the black and white, which do you prefer?

DSC_2087-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2087.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think I would prefer the color image if the color of the sky was more natural.

Heh. Here I was about to say the intense blue really brings something to the color version. B&W on a landscape such as this is always a good move but the color version is really something!

In the color version, the blue skies and black clouds look over cooked. Might print ok, as it would be out of gamet.
In the black and white version, the power lines and towers shine like beacons. If you want them to be a main part of the picture, implying how the lines may have contributed to the fire or something, it works. If that is not part of your statement, I think they need to go away in the bw version.
On both, I would crop off a little bit of the top, brings more emphasis to the foreground.
Nicely seen. Many of us would have walked on by.
Gary

Thanks for the comments. It was raining/stormy when I took this shot, there's actually no sky visible, it's all clouds. Some people may not like the edit, but that's how I remember it looking. To me, there's no point shooting raw and using an editor if you don't plan on stylizing it to your liking. Just shoot jpeg/standard. But that's always been my style, I shot Velvia and Ecktachrome 100VS (vivid saturation) before digital to get the same look.

Lots of reasons to shoot raw, and post process it so it looks real. But, I agree, our style can be anything we want. If you want to add flying monkeys be my guess. Not my taste, but that should not change what you want your work to look like.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom