Burned some film this morning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhilY, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Felt a need to go back to my "roots", as it were, and shoot some full manual film. Grabbed up a cam and a couple of lenses, slipped a couple of rolls out of the fridge, and headed out to do some "old school" shootin'. I won't be doing THAT again any time soon. :lol:

I was surprised how digitized I have become in two short years after MANY years of manual film gear. The bright viewfinder was a treat and the precise manual focusing was a pleasure but I missed the ability to do -- well, everything else. My fingers kept searching for buttons and dials that didn't exist, not to mention needing a higher ISO when the clouds rolled in. I got so depressed by the whole affair I stopped off on the way home and bought a Toyota.

Phil

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Gee, having never shot a film camera I can't feel your pain (or joy). Dial in that ISO, quick check on exposure, and all the other little finger exercises. I don't even know how to put film in a camera. Nevertheless there are folks here that know what you are talking about. Really got a new car, huh?

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Boy, that's one hell of a compulsive buy. I'm going to make sure I don't pull out my F5 anytime soon. :shock:

4. Yeah. The car (truck, actually -- 4Runner) was a planned event but the story sounded better the other way. A little literary license, maybe? The wife has been tooling around in a car the last few years but wanted to get another SUV this go 'round. Works better for me, too -- I can haul more camera gear. :wink:

I quit shooting several years ago because I got tired of hauling all that stuff around. Well, that and the film and processing costs were eating me alive. I bought a small digital a couple of years ago and now I'm right back to hauling all that stuff around, except it's all new stuff. Oh, well.

Phil

5. I pulled out an old Canon F1n and came home with a 4Runner. Pull out that F5 and you might end up with a Hummer. :lol:

Phil

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Yep, your other story sounded better. I haul a bunch of weight around when on a shoot. Doing it with a 15 year old (this month) station wagon. I go- D2x, SW don't break, D2X, SW don't break, D2X... you get the idea of my chant coupled with 12 candles, 7 dancing girls (not sure if V word is applicable), and 2 wine bottles a spinning (reason why I didn't know the latter). the chant usually works so I don't see myself walking around with a D2X. Gotta ride with the pride!!!

7. ROFL

I certainly understand what you mean. I bought a new Jeep Cherokee in '88 and enjoyed the little truck so much I didn't sell or trade it over the years. I'll load it up sometimes on the weekend to go on a shoot or to play a little golf or whatever and I always wonder if it's going to crank when I'm on the backside of nowhere. Adds a little spice to the trip. Problem is there's only two of us here with the kid off at school and there's now 4 vehicles parked outside -- and the dog can't drive

You know -- this new 4Runner just might be a retaliatory strike by SWMBO due to all these boxes from B&H showing up around here with my name on them. The fems of the species are like that sometimes. hehheh

Phil

Phil

8. Impulsive Purchases

I fully understand. I have an old F4s and some lenses laying around. Somehow I convinced my wife to let me order a D2X. So just to make sure I wasn't going to throw any money away, I went to the car dealership and looked at a new Chevy Van for about $22,000 out the door. I drooled a little, walked around it, playing with the electric door features and other goodies. Then I drove home feeling I had actually saved $17,000. For what that thing cost, I can buy 12 of the Plymouth Voyagers that I am driving now. Funny how easy it is to save money. :) Really looking forward to hearing from the crew when the D2Xs come out.

Steve

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    An old van in good shape would be nice to carry a new D2X. That will be my first look see if this wagon dies. Getting time to keep a careful watch for email notification from B&H that the 2Xs are in. Wish List is ready to go!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    This is without a doubt, the most insanely nutty thread yet on the Café. You guys should write for Johnny Carson (oops.... :oops: ).... :twisted:

Just plain hilarious.... :wink:

Frank