Burning a hole in my pocket

I pre-ordered the ep5 kit, but cancelled after I fondled one and found the small grip didn't fit my hand. Bummer, because it is right in so many other ways.

I had sold an fx lens to fund the ep5, so I have a nice stash of hobby-bucks that's begging to be spent, and an itch for something new. I've looked at several ways to scratch it...

• Upgrade to a VF-4: That seems kind of silly when my vf2 works so well.
  • Buy some u4/3 lenses: I really don't need any. My 4 lens kit + adapted Nikon lenses is more than satisfying.
  • Panasonic G5: I almost bought a kit that included the G5, kit lens, and Wasabi battery kit for $325. It has a good vf, an articulated lcd, and a popup flash. But I dearly love rangefinder style bodies, and worry about shooting without ibis... plus I'm hooked on Oly jpegs. Mematsu's work has tempted me... but he warned me off. :confused:
  • Sony NEX6: I played with one at Samy's. It pretty much hits all of my hotspots, other than the wide angle LCD. But the lenses are big, and I really don't see significant advantages to the larger lcd for an everyday rig. When I want subject isolation, I've got my d700,
  • Olympus EM5: Almost bought a gently used copy with spare batteries for $650... but I've been there and wasn't happy with the ergos or look (how shallow of me).

Maybe I should wait and see what the GX2 looks like... or maybe I should wait to see if someone comes out with an add on grip for the EP5. Or maybe I should stop obsessing about gear and work on taking better pictures with my current kit. :Curved:

.....Or maybe I should stop obsessing about gear and work on taking better pictures with my current kit. :Curved:

Frank, That's exactly what I've done for the past 3-4 months, and I've been quite happy. I say hold onto your hard-earned $$$$ until something comes along that you clearly want. From the questions you're asking in your post, it doesn't look like any of them are a clear winner at this time.

Just my opinion.

I pre-ordered the ep5 kit, but cancelled after I fondled one and found the small grip didn't fit my hand. Bummer, because it is right in so many other ways.

I had sold an fx lens to fund the ep5, so I have a nice stash of hobby-bucks that's begging to be spent, and an itch for something new. I've looked at several ways to scratch it...

• Upgrade to a VF-4: That seems kind of silly when my vf2 works so well.
  • Buy some u4/3 lenses: I really don't need any. My 4 lens kit + adapted Nikon lenses is more than satisfying.
  • Panasonic G5: I almost bought a kit that included the G5, kit lens, and Wasabi battery kit for $325. It has a good vf, an articulated lcd, and a popup flash. But I dearly love rangefinder style bodies, and worry about shooting without ibis... plus I'm hooked on Oly jpegs. Mematsu's work has tempted me... but he warned me off. :confused:
  • Sony NEX6: I played with one at Samy's. It pretty much hits all of my hotspots, other than the wide angle LCD. But the lenses are big, and I really don't see significant advantages to the larger lcd for an everyday rig. When I want subject isolation, I've got my d700,
  • Olympus EM5: Almost bought a gently used copy with spare batteries for $650... but I've been there and wasn't happy with the ergos or look (how shallow of me).

Maybe I should wait and see what the GX2 looks like... or maybe I should wait to see if someone comes out with an add on grip for the EP5. Or maybe I should stop obsessing about gear and work on taking better pictures with my current kit. :Curved:

What about a Fuji XE-1, rangefinder styling, killer sensor and pretty nice looking lenses...

Wait for the GX2. And if you really want to spend some money, now I'm saying this in terms of get it for fun not because you NEED to, grab one of the u4/3 Voightlaners at f/.95.

Fuji X-E1? Bigger APS sensor. Fantastic image quality (raw and supposedly the best jpgs on the planet). Just got mine last week and I'm living it. Pick up a 25$ Nikon adapter and mount that 20/3.5 - you'll be hooked immediately!

Fuji X-E1? Bigger APS sensor. Fantastic image quality (raw and supposedly the best jpgs on the planet). Just got mine last week and I'm living it. Pick up a 25$ Nikon adapter and mount that 20/3.5 - you'll be hooked immediately!

The only big gripe I read about it is slow focus, do you feel it is as slow as some of the reviews indicate?

Not personally. I did notice an immediate improvement when I updated the firmware from 1.04 to 1.06, though. I'm shooting a fair amount in full manual, too, so along with lacking a non-dslr frame of reference I can only say I've been pleased with AF performance.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Didn't they just come out with a firmware update to address this issue with another one to follow?

Yes, and it does help. The other that will come later this month will add some additional focus enhancement for use in manual focus.

If there was one issue I'd say my XE-1 has (compared to a standard DSLR) it is "slow" (relative) focus.

Otherwise, it's a dream, so Frank, give it a look. Very good price point, too.

Frank,

Fight the urge.
If the itch becomes unbearable, perhaps look to pick up a VF4 from an EP5 kit buyer who prefers the LCD to the viewfinder.
And then sell your VF2 to minimize the capital loss.
Try and keep sufficient funds so you can jump in when the right item is introduced.
You're very deliberate in your decisions, so you'll recognize the right item.

I recently sold my D800, which resulted in a similar burning sensation.
My daughters' sports careers are winding down, so there's no reason to be so heavily invested in DSLR when most of my shooting will be with M43.
After a few DSLR-free days, I got an itch and scratched it with a nostalgic repurchase of a D2H, a body I had used long ago for both indoor and outdoor sports.
So I'm stepping back 9 years technology-wise, but now at a cost of $300 instead of the D2H original price of $3200.
And sufficient funds still remain for picking up the eventual E-M5 successor. :smile:

One Month at 63 Degrees: Leica X2 v. Fujifilm X100S v. Olympus OM-D + 17mm f/1.8

Every one seems to have GAS this time of year. I almost bought a X-E1 when they were on sale last month. Then I read the manual for it and saw that it required a button push before the AF sensor position could be changed, and it's no faster, or even as fast as an OM-D. Then the E-P5 almost hooked me out of boredom. I finally caved on the cheap crack of the $300 EOS-M. A new camera like that should provide 3 weeks of entertainment and science fair experiments. That was the same cost of smoking cigarettes, except I still have a camera at the end of the 3 weeks.

Wait for the GX2. I don't think any new mirrorless camera will create the same feeding frenzy that the OM-D did, so there's no need to pre-order anything.

It doesn't focus a snappy as my D700, but it's not slow either. This isn't a camera for shooting sports, and the focus hasn't caused me to miss any shots. I'd suggest simply trying one to determine if it meets your needs. That said, the firmware did make a difference and it's relatively recent - a shelf display may not have it. The one coming in a few weeks will improve it even more and add focus peaking!

Real Name
John
[*]Panasonic G5: I almost bought a kit that included the G5, kit lens, and Wasabi battery kit for $325. It has a good vf, an articulated lcd, and a popup flash. But I dearly love rangefinder style bodies, and worry about shooting without ibis... plus I'm hooked on Oly jpegs. Mematsu's work has tempted me... but he warned me off. :confused:

Good advice heh? :smile:

The G5 works great for me but the advantages of it over the P3 just aren't what you are looking for. Wouldn't be much of a distraction at all.

Here's the bad advice(what I would do). :biggrin:
Pick up a used 75mm - shoot the heck out of it and when the P5 says "NOW!" eat the shipping and paypal fees. A great distraction and a fairly reasonable price for a rental.

But by that time you may feel the need for both.

Here's my advice: Stop spending money on new gear, I'm pretty sure what you have is more than adequate for the job [as it has been for the last few years]. :smile:
Put the money away and watch everyone else buying the latest and greatest as it is released. Watch and listen to the reviews and in a years time if it has proved itself to be good buy it at less than half price as the next 'latest and greatest' is released and everyone now thinks it is junk. :)

Here's my advice: Stop spending money on new gear, I'm pretty sure what you have is more than adequate for the job [as it has been for the last few years]. :smile:
Put the money away and watch everyone else buying the latest and greatest as it is released. Watch and listen to the reviews and in a years time if it has proved itself to be good buy it at less than half price as the next 'latest and greatest' is released and everyone now thinks it is junk. :)

Desmond you just saved me a lot of words.
+ 1.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest threads

Top Bottom