Burrowing Owls - Nancy's Way .....

Here are a couple of the Burrowing Owl shots from Sunday. This particular burrow is on the shoulder of a rather busy main highway. Shooting off a bean-bag, first time for Nancy, out of the window, parked on the shoulder. Waiting each time a truck goes by for the wind buffeting to cease. The birds don't seem to care, but they are on ...

Alert:
070401_D025707.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As we were watching, a Harrier was flying around, the Owls were watching it closely, when it got close, they ducked into the burrow. We snuck up a bit closer and Nancy caught what may be my favorite image of the weekend.

Is it Safe??????:
070401_D025716.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nancy caught a sequence of this Owl poking its head up and then back down, at which point we decided it was time to move away. It is amazing where this burrow is, I'm going to have to research more and maybe try to get back when the owlets might be popping up.

These, the Sandhills and more can be found here, Othello Trip, I'll be adding more over the next few days. I posted a few of the Sandhills early this AM, any weekend where we can see more than 20 species is really quite cool.

Tell Nancy these are some beautiful captures Bill. Looks like I should have stayed in town and went over with you guys. What a catch to see these little guys. It would really be cool to catch them when the young are just coming out.

Louie

Looks to like #1 has "predator" eye

but #2 has "worried" eyes...

Big, mean ole Nancy sneeking up on that wee birdie just for a photograph! For shame! :eek: Did she leave a couple of mice as a peace offering?:cool:

Great photographs when you can tell the difference between worry and predator in a raptor's eyes!

Tell Nancy these are some beautiful captures Bill. Looks like I should have stayed in town and went over with you guys. What a catch to see these little guys. It would really be cool to catch them when the young are just coming out.

Louie

Thanks, Louie. I am going to try to find out when the owlets might start to be seen, and then I see more 3.5 hour drives ahead of me ......

Hi Guys,

Very nicely done - particularly the 2nd image. I love it!

James

Thanks, James. I sure do agree with you.

Great shots, and wow that second one.

Thanks, #2 seems to be a definite winner, eh?

The eyes tell it all in the second shot! Nice job Bill.

Anthony

Thanks, Anthony, I sure agree as well.

I agree with Anthony. I do think in most non-flying owl shots the eyes are so important. These are great, especially the second one.

Thanks, Joseph. Whenever possible I try for eyes, and if I can get a catchlight, even better.

Well, like everyone else, I love that 2nd one! BUT both photos are just simply stunning! Hope ya'll get more!

Thanks, we have a bazillion of them :biggrin:. Now that I know where to find them, I'm hoping to get back for some more.

Very nice shots. That second is just great. Those eyes!!!

Thanks, and these little guys sure do have great eyes, don't they?

Looks to like #1 has "predator" eye

but #2 has "worried" eyes...

Big, mean ole Nancy sneeking up on that wee birdie just for a photograph! For shame! :eek: Did she leave a couple of mice as a peace offering?:cool:

Great photographs when you can tell the difference between worry and predator in a raptor's eyes!

Thanks. That is a really interesting observation about the "look" of the eyes. The first shot was prior to the Harrier coming by, and they were actively looking around, may have sensed it nearby. And, yes, sneak up we did, but Nancy would not leave mice, she thinks that all animals/birds should be "friendly" and not eat other animals/birds. Fish are OK though :wink:

Cool shots Bill. Kudos to Nancy!

Thanks, Rory, I'll be sure to pass that along

Real nice Nancy
Ohhhhh what big eyes he has:)))

Thanks, Gale, makes you think it's looking right at you, doesn't it?

Nice shots Nancy! I'm hoping to find some down here. They are nesting now and should have hatchlings in a few weeks.

Thanks, David. It ain't Bosque, but finding the Sandhills and these guys within 3.5 hours of home, ain't too bad a weekend.

Well done Nancy!

Don

Thanks, Don.

I absolutely love the second one...it is perfectly precious :)

Thanks, Jim. That is one of sequence, where you see the empty burrow, and then bits of the head popping up and then going back down. I think I'll make an animated GIF of it, rather funny.

What a beautiful capture! Picture of a lifetime

Thanks. I am VERY jealous of this shot, but I was also grinning like a fool watching her get this shot. It will, for sure, be one going up on our wall.

Thanks, all, I'll pass all the good words on to Nancy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom