Burrowing Owls

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Focus Pocus, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Focus Pocus

Focus Pocus

Oct 19, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    I stumbled on to Burrowing Owl heaven this morning. Must have been at least 6 nesting pairs and their young in a 10 acre area. Unfortunately, it's about to become a subdivision. Anyway, here are a few of the shots. I'm hoping to get back out there next week and spend some more time. I had my two year old with me and you can probably imagine how long that lasted.

Thanks for looking!
  2. WOW! Talk about some beautiful birdies! I have yet to find an owl in the wild! Keep em comin!
  3. Wow, you are so lucky!! and the last two are incredible!!!
  4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I like em

great find
  5. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Very well done Richard. These guys are mongo cute. :smile:
  6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Precious little owls for sure
    Great shots

Real sorry to hear more habitat disapearing
  7. Focus Pocus

Focus Pocus

Oct 19, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks guys! I can't wait to get back out there and try to improve on these and maybe get some more in-flight shots.
  8. Great shots!!

Are they allowed to build on this land if the owls are there??

Read the book "hoot"!
  9. Very nice Richard - the last two images are outstanding!
  10. Very nice - I like the balance of the second one a lot - the one in the burrow adds a lot.
    Pretty birds.
  11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Really nice shots Richard!
  12. Wow, love them all but the flying shot is incredible. Well done.
  13. Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    Great photos.....I especially like the owl in flight. How close were you able to get to them?
  14. DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    The last two are great. Love the the fourth very much.
  15. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Congratulations on a great find and some wonderful images! Love these little owls.
  16. Focus Pocus

Focus Pocus

Oct 19, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    You can get pretty close to the adults, but it was tough to get within decent range of the young ones with my 300mm f4 and the 1.4 TC. As soon as you get within range they scurry down the hole. Most of these shots are pretty big crops.

I don't know, but there is already a road cut through the area and two houses going up right now. I was actually parked right in front of the one house that is almost complete and got my best shots of the owlets right from the drivers seat.

Thanks again for the comments!
  17. Focus Pocus

Focus Pocus

Oct 19, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    Just a follow up. I really do wonder what's going to happen to these guys in the near future. . .

We saw dozens of these guys in a small area where the lots were parceled out and a couple of homes were already near completion. Disappearing habitat for sure.

18. HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    And now everyone can call Douglas and ask him just what they plan to do about moving the owls. (see photo above) Call the local paper and get them to do a story. Call your local bird people and see if they can get some fokes in there that know how to move owls. What is the area code for that phone #?
  19. These guys really are very cool little birds. They are a real crackup when they "stand tall", they have quite long legs for an 8-9" bird.

Good shots, I have found that when they scurry down the burrow, if you can just sit low and still, or be in a car or blind, they will come back out in 20-30 minutes or so, I had that happen a lot this past weekend myself.

As to the habitat, as they are not an endangered species, I doubt there is much you can do. They find ground squirrel burrows that have been abandoned to use, and unfortunately they do get dug out by coyotes and such on occasion. I saw one such burrow this past weekend myself, a greatly enlarge hole with not much but feathers around it, rather sad.

But they are sure fun to shoot, aren't they? Darned good job on a small and pretty quickly moving subject.

Did you have any of the Adults "chatter" at you while bobbing up and down?