Business Card Critique/Suggestions, Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoCalBob, Aug 4, 2007.

1. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    I know many other "amateur" photographers here have already done this, but I've been resisting the impulse for months. After all, why would I want to go to the trouble and expense of having a business card printed proclaiming that I'm a photographer? Most of my photos clearly demonstrate my dedication to preserving my amateur status, and I have no real desire to start any kind of commercial business or sell my pictures.

But I've been thinking, "Gee, it would still be nice to be able to give people a calling card that identifies me." So last night I decided to order a few business cards and, thanks to Google, found a website (www.overnightprints.com) that features incredibly simple customized business card design, very reasonable prices and excellent customer service.

Here's the proof of the card I came up with, and I'd appreciate your critiques and feedback because I basically like it, but I think it could be improved.

1002938309_9ab40d2241_o.

I do like the Castellar font, but I'm thinking it would be improved by moving the "Photography" line down to the center and adding a drop shadow. Any other suggestions? Thanks, y'all.

2. A few inputs from me, take them with a grain of salt.

Anyway heres what I think

Your name needs to stand out more on the business card, (larger font, more contrast with the backgorund), Aswell as photography,
    Another, Be more specific, What types of pictures do you take etc.. Theres a lot of genre's of Photography, and if people know you do a lot of landscapes and people shots, they won't hesitate as much to recommend you or email you.
    Drop the Address, and just leave the email address and If you have one Webpage. For more prestige, have a website that isn't a smugmug or flickr type account, and has a short easy to remember address. I used to use norristology, but recently bought photocross.org (I take a lot of MX pics)). And by bought i mean, registered for a whole 8$ (per year).

Even if it just redirects people to another website.

What I do like, Colorful business cards that shout photography, And your picture does a good job of that, Leads me to believe you take a lot of Nature / landscape shots. So that could be good or bad (depending on what you shoot)

Also I would move the phone number ot the bottom, Leave the top uncluttered except for your name + photography. Also Business cards are usually horrible for dynamic range, especially when they get scratched up, So the shadow detail will probably be all lost on this pic.

And thats my 2 cents!

3. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    I really appreciate your feedback, thanks for taking the time to critique. Taking into consideration your suggestions and mulling over that first draft myself, I reworked it last night and came up with this version, which I like much better.

1009679588_4196ad27c0_o.

As you can see, I moved the phone number to the bottom where it belongs, and also emphasized my name by centering it and adding a drop shadow (which works well with that Castellar font). I centered "Photography" and increased the font size, but left it partly translucent so it would be subtle and not be too intrusive and interfere with the photo background. I also reduced the font size of the info at the bottom and changed it to italic.

Since I'm not in business, have no aspirations to "go commercial" or sell my photos, and don't specialize in any particular kind of photography (I'm equally inept at all kinds), this card is simply intended as a way to introduce myself and give people a way to contact me for whatever reason. Thus, I wanted to design a card that was entirely generic (i.e., not a sales tool, but rather a calling card), both "classy" and "classic," and rather understated.

I chose the sunset photo as a background because it's one of my best, and also because the composition lent itself naturally to incorporating the text.

Thanks again for responding, and I'd love to hear some other opinions.

4. No thoughts, but I am taking good notes! This is very instructive--both the design and the psychology of "should I" "should I not." Thanks.

5. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I am not a fan of using a photograph for business card. It's too distracting and too busy to read the card.

More importantly, San Seriff font is fairly difficult to read in such small size. Those fonts were meant for larger print like letter or even sign. Non-san seriff font is much more pleasing to the eyes for business card.

6. I concur with Cougar. The photograph makes it busy and I think detracts from the information you are trying to convey. But then again trying to remind myself that you are not using this for business but more so a simple way to share your contact info. That being said, I am a purist and prefer a classic simple off-white card with a color logo. Going back to your design maybe give yourself a name as opposed to just printing "Photography". For example maybe "Super Duper Photography" (Cheese ball example but then it is late and the juices aren't flowing. You could have fun with this one) on top and the in a larger font in the middle your name. Also maybe use white for the font, may stand out more against the background. Just some thoughts. Love the pic by the way, the suns rays coming out like that are awesome. Really a beautiful shot.

7. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Calling Card" instead of "Business Card." :rolleyes:

8. ANAMNESIS
    Capturing a sense of place and time

Perhaps I understand--I've been playing with the notion of creatingmy own "calling cards" with the above identifier.

[FONT=&quot]ETYMOLOGY:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Greek: [/FONT]A recalling to memory; recollection.

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I've been thinking of creating a card for those awkward moments when people ask "Why are you taking my photo", just something to ease their concern.

10. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:I believe your card is OK as it is. If you aren't promoting your photography why have "photography" on the card. It will only open the question of whether or not you are a commercial photographer.
    www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

11. Bob, the only thing I felt wasn't attractive was the dashes along the border, or around the edge of the card....I like it , but they seem a little distracting, busy, so to speak...
    .poste scripte : I have sent you a P.M.

12. Bob,
    since you're asking !
    I'd remove your mailing address. Leave that on the website. Phone ## should be bigger as should your email/website address.... parents have old eyes remember. If I can't read it easily, out it goes.

13. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    My sincere thanks to everyone for their critiques and comments. After taking them all into consideration, this is the final card that I decided on:

1122960214_bad4794c23_o.

14. Tintop

Tintop Guest

I really like the sunset picture you've chosen for that card.