Business card design... critique please

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Medic1210, Aug 22, 2008.

1. I'm not a graphic designer, and I know it shows in the following, but I need some cards asap. I plan on eventually working with a designer to help design a logo or brand as well as business cards. In the mean time, this is what I've come up with. What do you think? Honest critiques requested. What would you suggest I do to improve it?

original.

2. Michael

Michael

Jun 30, 2005
    Mid-Michigan
    Mike: By no means am I a graphic designer as I recently gave up making one for myself and just used a template but my first impression with yours is I like it; it really caught my eye. The images you selected are very good.

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    wow, looks good enough to be a banner too

4. Mike,

It looks good to me as well ..... I would suggest that you print it out at actual size to make sure the photos still look good to you .......

Regards,

5. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I like it alot as well..my only critique for what it is worth is I am not fond of the pattern on the word "photography", it might look nicer the same as the other words

6. Looks good....... might want to try some USM on the phone number..... kinda hard to read :biggrin:

7. MR.BIG

MR.BIG

Feb 24, 2008
    Serbia
    Quick one ....

Mike.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Use the back side of that card as well...and perhaps put a studio image on it. On location is good...but sometimes clients want that studio look.

9. I like your basic design, but think you should add a short slogan/message that more clearly says what you do.

Maybe something to this effect: "Capturing the essence of everyday life."

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Here's what I have come up with for the back.

Front

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

As far as the studio shot suggestion, I don't offer studio portraits. They're gonna have to go somewhere else if that's what they want.

11. Mr Big, that's a really cool design. Kinda has a HAL9000 from 2001 a Space Odyssey feel.

12. MR.BIG

MR.BIG

Feb 24, 2008
    Serbia
    Give me all the info .... if you like it I will send you version ready for print : )

13. Mike -
    Perhaps you'd want to throw in some male pictures? Everything is female-based photo-wise. Just a thought

14. Ahh, good idea. Can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

15. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Only kids?

Based on the later info you provided, it looks like you shoot a range of subjects. I would expect the front of the card to say (show) that. At present, it shows only two girls. Pictures on back should reflect the range that the list suggests. If you don't have samples of what you are willing to shoot, then I would set some up with friends as models. I'll be drawn to what I see more than by what I can read.

From a design perspective, the pattern in "photography" may just lead to less legibility than be "cool" when it is small. Design choices need to be intentional and for a reason that contributes to people wanting to use your services.

16. Not sure how you would expect me to show all that with only 2 slots for photos.

Again, I'm working with a max of 6 slots. I'm hoping folks will be drawn to the website, which will show a more thorough example of my work. Of course, as it is now, my site is still a work in progress. Still, I will look at my images and see if any would fit the card better than what I have selected now. It hasn't gone to the printer yet, so I'm still able to make changes rather easily. Well, except for the film strip images, which were a bit involved getting into the position and shape they are now. Still, it can be done if needed.

I have taken that advice, and removed the texture from "photography". You can see the new version in the post on the previous page showing the front and back. Thanks for the input.

17. You might want to try a drop shadow on the script. JMHO.

18. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Wow - asking for C & C - then questioning it . . .

:confused: 

Two spots for two different kinds of images on the front.

Six spots for six different kinds of images on the back.

Should be clear enough. You list eight different areas of emphasis, so with eight slots for images, how about one of each in each of the slots. Show me you can shoot the variety you list. Let me see sports, recitals, family shots, etc. As it is now - four of the eight images feature a little girl.

Also, you suggest that you don't take "studio portraits." I'm certain the average consumer isn’t going to understand that, based on several of the kinds of shots you are advertising, since, most of the time, those kinds of shots are typically taken in a studio. If that is important to you, then it needs to be clear on your card and other advert materials. Confusing or misleading advertising (intentional or not) is the best way to shoot your business in the foot. Be clear about what you do and there will be less confusion, typically, on the part of the customer about what you don't do.

19. From what I've seen from designers critiquing other folks business cards, they all say not to use drop shadows on the text for business cards, that it takes away from the crispness.

20. Hi Peano, thanks for the suggestions. My only concern is the size of the font of the phone number. While it's clearly legible at this web size, will it be legible to anybody with less than 20/20 vision when printed at 3.5x2 inches? I actually had a designer who saw my thread on DPReview give me a call to personally suggest a few things, and that is one of the big ones he said. He said folks don't want to have to put on reading glasses to read the contact info. He said I needed to make that at least 11 or 12pt font to be legible at print size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.