Business card thoughts

Real Name
Randy
It really isn't a hassle! I got my personal domain name (PleasantTravelsPhotography.com ....yeah too long but it matches my website. I also have kspleasant.com) many years ago. I use GoDaddy.com to maintain it. I recently decided to buy my hubby a personal domain for his birthday on Nov 13. It took about 10 minutes on GoDaddy. It was about $40........ piece of cake!

You can then link it to your SM website. That is how mine works. Pleasant Travels Photography
godaddy makes it alot easier, I've used them for 15 years

A .com name is the most ideal but depending on how you get your word out, you may be able to get away with .net or any of the other dot names (i.e. .photo, etc.).

Godaddy should give you other name options but i'd go with domain.com to do your searches. Just note, if you search and a domain comes back as available it locks that as being available for a set amount of time (unknown to me these days but it used to take 2+ days to be available again if you don't take it in the search).

Real Name
Ken
Clearwaterphotography.com is taken. Not sure I really want to go through changing names at this point.

Any other domain suggestions?
If a domain name was taken, I am not sure I would want to be "borrowing" parts of it, if only to avoid any confusion if somebody attempts to look me up and then confuses me with the owners of the domain. Yes, people have your card, but what happens if they lose it or want to share your work with a friend? Right now you have a limited audience for a limited time, but if that is the case, and only the case, it is not clear why you even need a name at all?

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
A .com name is the most ideal but depending on how you get your word out, you may be able to get away with .net or any of the other dot names (i.e. .photo, etc.).

Godaddy should give you other name options but i'd go with domain.com to do your searches. Just note, if you search and a domain comes back as available it locks that as being available for a set amount of time (unknown to me these days but it used to take 2+ days to be available again if you don't take it in the search).
I have heard that some domain registry sites share their search inquiries and there are people who will sometimes buy up names that have been recently searched, hoping to resell them. I do not know if this is internet folklore, but I ended up choosing a small domain provider that does not put holds on names searched or take any other unexpected actions after search inquiries. I saw a few too many posts about domains being grabbed up after a first search to ask how/why this was happening when I registered my first name years ago.

--Ken

Real Name
Randy
Clearwaterphotography.com is taken. Not sure I really want to go through changing names at this point.

Any other domain suggestions?
Is that name well known ?
I had to live with Carolina-SportsPhotography for a few years and finally bought CarolinaSportsPhotography for $60, it was $500 for years and suddenly the price dropped.
If your name is not well known I’d start over now.

Real Name
Randy
Unless the name is easy to remember it doesn’t really matter because customers will go back to the business card. The important thing is the business card looks professional. So as long as the email address and URL name are consistent w the business name you’ll be fine.

I have heard that some domain registry sites share their search inquiries and there are people who will sometimes buy up names that have been recently searched, hoping to resell them. I do not know if this is internet folklore, but I ended up choosing a small domain provider that does not put holds on names searched or take any other unexpected actions after search inquiries. I saw a few too many posts about domains being grabbed up after a first search to ask how/why this was happening when I registered my first name years ago.

--Ken
I wouldn't say folklore, it definitely happened. But I believe all 3, 4 and 5 letter domain names are taken so it's 6 letter and up that are only available. It's not the cash grab it used to be but i'm sure it still happens from time to time. I was more concerned that if you did a search today, found something you liked, didn't pull the trigger then went back a day or two later to get it it wouldn't be available. That happened to me on several occasions and it sucked.

Like Randy above said, if you aren't well known with your current name, definitely consider another variation and how it plays with your domain name. I used to tell people mine was JKPhotography (letters changed for privacy) but found that domain name was taken so I changed my domain to PhotosbyJK.com and it was available. On my site it would say JKPhotography and PhotosbyJK so that search engines would pick them up and remain relevant. I also checked what JKPhotography.com resolved to and it was just a parked page so I didn't care. Search engines won't pick those up and would instead pick mine up at photosbyjk so all was good.

Real Name
Andrew
I don’t take business cards anymore. I scan them using Adobe Scan. Puts the info directly into my contacts on my iPhone. Saves me from losing the card, saves the other person money on having to reorder more cards.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom