1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Business cards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Connahhh, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    As a little back story, I shot my first wedding yesterday. Everything went well, I'm happy with the photos and I think they will be too.

However, I had a few people ask me for business cards. I had none to give. I think I might have lost some future clients for not being able to provide any. So, my question is, where do you guys and gals get your business cards? I have seen a few online sites to order them on, and the prices seem reasonable, but it doesn't seem very custom. You pick a template and add a name and title. I want some nice, simple cards with contact info and a place to put some sample photos. Where/how can I go about this?

I'm not looking to spend a lot, and I don't need very many. 50 tops.

Suggestions?

2. do you have a printer with your computer?

just buy some avery business card stock - download the templates from avery.com for your computer and then make/print your own!

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    vistaprint.com has free cards and is not too bad to get ya started.

4. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    How does that work, exactly?

Both a regular printer and photo printer. I'll check out Avery.com, thanks.

5. Vista Print gives you a first order free of something like business cards in their most generic forms. It's not a bad idea for cards a touch better than print at home cards. I personally use overnightprints.com. But I was willing to pay a bit more and had my own custom card that I designed.

6. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I designed a custom card at vista - it costs if you want to do that but I added my own photo and to my door was about 13 bux for 500 of them IIRC.

7. That's where I get mine...

8. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I use www.vistaprint.com too, and they are inexpensive and decent quality...at least good enough for me. They are easy to design and order. They try to get you to buy all kinds of unnecessary junk at the end of the online order process though...really annoying.

By the way, Connor...Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  9. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

Not specifying to you, McQ, but "you" are not the one that your card needs to impress or be good enough for.

I get several clients "off the fence" simply because my card is "impressive" and "doesn't look or feel cheap" so that means that I "must be serious."

I designed it myself (2 sided full color) and had them printed by Kev Lawson at www.4cusa.com on 100lb card stock with a UV coating for $34.95 delivered.

I have yet to have a card that's gone through the wash and still be readable like these.

[​IMG]

10. Yep, that's what I did too.

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I've tried vistaprints twice
    both times the cards are cut too short

length wise ok, but height wise no good

the first time, well, I said, maybe just a one off problem
    second time, same thing, I called and they credited the full price to me

kudos for that, but next time, I will go local

12. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    A standard business card is 2x3.5 inches trimmed. VistaPrint business cards are 3.43x1.93 inches trimmed (VistaPrint business card specs here). If you prepare standard 2x3.5 full bleed images and send them to VistaPrint, your cards will be chopped off and won't please you. I prefer a standard size business card. I have used AAA Full Color Printing for my own business cards. Like 4cusa, they are four-color, double sided, UV coated on heavy stock. I think 4cusa might be a little cheaper. I'm glad to know about them.

In the Templates section of my website are three PSD files containing templates with guides for full bleed 2x3.5 inch business cards. They are in CMYK color space. Feel free to download and use them to prepare your own business card design for printing. Please replace my images with your own. Mine are included for illustration purposes only. There is a fourth blank PSD file with just the guides and a plain white background if you prefer to start from scratch but want the guides.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    thanks Walter

I guess the size difference is small, but enough where it bothered me
    I have seen hundreds of cards through the years, and those were the first ones that seemed "not right"

14. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

No sweat! But I should have clarified that I am picky about the quality of my cards, and that "good enough for me" means they are at least as good as my full time job's business cards...which are high quality.

Also I should clarify that at vistaprint, you can get really cheap, cheesy looking cards, or very high quality cards. It's all about what you are willing to pay or can afford to pay.

Interesting that the size of the cards was an issue with a couple of folks. They are so close in size to my regular business cards that it didn't bother me. I could see if they were too big, but being just millimeters smaller isn't an issue for me.

I'm glad this topic came up though, because it's always nice to know where else you can get cards if you need to.

15. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Really helpful and I'm going to check out all those sites now.

16. I use vistaprint, multicolor, glossy, back printed, good price...

beware when trying to check out they offer 10 million add-ons and if not careful you will add one to your basket

17. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    I was planning on ordering on ordering mine from MPIX.com, anyone already have cards from mpix?

18. OvernightPrints.com. First rate and very professional. Lots of choices for finish and coatings. Mine are done on heavy stock and UV coated. They're like handing mini shingles. I love em.

19. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I think the VistaPrint card size difference would only be noticeable if you have an image across the background that would suffer from being trimmed smaller than you expected, or if you placed your text too close to the edge with too small a margin. If you use their specs and plan accordingly, I'm sure their product will work just fine.

With any print shop, you need to know the exact specifications they require for the product you are requesting so that you can properly prepare your artwork for them. Otherwise you may be disappointed in what you get in return.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.