Business News: Nikon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caero, Aug 8, 2005.

1. caero

caero Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050808/bs_nm/tech_japan_nikon_dc

Nice going Nikon!

I hope this increased focus on DSLR technology results in a lot of new lenses and stuff for all of us Nikonians :D

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I hope Nikon doesn't totally abandon the low-end segment of the camera market as that's where future DSLR users will be coming from.

4. more like Nikon will be abandoning the DSLR market in favor of the P&S crowd!

5. allen_a_george

allen_a_george

Apr 30, 2005
    Waterloo
    I'd really like to see the D50 do well. Unfortunately I think that Canon's entries are outgunning the Nikon ones in the marketplace.

In Canada at least, the Rebel XT and the D50 are very close in price. But I've witnessed the following sequence of events a couple of times:

Salesperson: Here's D50 & Rebel XT
    Person: Oh - I see that the Rebel XT has 8MP - how much does the D50 have?

:~(

From then on it's usually a lost cause.

I bought the D70 because of ergonomics and build quality. But for quite a few people, MP/$ is a trump factor.

Cheers,
    Allen

6. allen_a_george

allen_a_george

Apr 30, 2005
    Waterloo
    They're not necessarily wrong BTW. I think

a) D50 should be a little more cheaper

OR

b) Nikon should have put in an 8MP chip

7. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    I totally agree with you. Most people ask me how many pixels does my D70 have, not how is image quality, autofocusing, metering, responsiveness, ..., whatever, just pixels.

It is a serious marketing issue. Notice that on dpreview the D50 does not seem to get people's attention. In fact the new Minolta 5D attracts more attention (6 MPs, but antishake system makes up for the pixel difference). Nikon has just started the low end of the market with a camera that is facing the 350XT competition, and the D50 won't be replaced for at least 2 years. Not good.

The D200 better be a 20D killer camera !

Thierry