But, but, I don't wanna leave the film forum

A few days ago, I decided that I didn't have the skills to get into film scans. A big problem, was my inability to get a good negative.
Well, the past couple days, I spent some time taking some random shots, and had a roll developed at Walgreens.

All I can say is, wow! What a difference a decent process makes. I'm very impressed with the image quality.

I will re-attempt to learn about this scanning stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that you're going to stick with it! When I first started scanning I just took a good negative and played and played and played again with the scanner software adjustments until they became second nature. Oh, and by the way, I find the native software that came with my Epson V700 to be more than adequate.

I'm finding that a big part of my problem is having the scanner properly calibrated.
The Plustek came with a calibration slide. I've run the slide a few times, and each time I ended up with a different result.
I'll keep at it

It depends, i have some negatives amazing results and some not much, but if you see the best result from my negs then you will know why i don't want to leave film, sure i wish to have a better scanner.

It depends, i have some negatives amazing results and some not much, but if you see the best result from my negs then you will know why i don't want to leave film, sure i wish to have a better scanner.

This little project of mine, has made me a few friends with the same interest. With that, I've had the chance see what some nice scans could look like.

What I'm seeing is a couple of things.

1) The film processing does indeed vary from one place to another. Even though, the other place could just as well be a Walgreens, instead of a CVS, the CVS process was unacceptable on more than one occasion.

2) The scanner; I went out an purchased the Plustek 7600ai scanner. From everything I've read, it's a very good scanner, and it does appear to be. However, the SilverFast software seems to be a little quirky. It does a nice job of "cleaning up" a negative, it has it's own version of ICE, scans at 7200dpi, but (as others mentioned), the calibration is a learning curve.
I've also tried ScanVue. I'm using a couple prints as a reference, and I'm finding it impossible to reproduce that print by way of scanning.... Whether I'm using SilverFast or ScanVue

3) "Digital-like" expectations: After shooting DSLR's for the past 10 years, my expectations are very high. Getting a 20mb RAW file, from a 16mp camera has it's advantages. One could argue that the tonality, and DR is different from film, but where one gains in that department, one loses in convenience, (noise )"grain" to some, and a much more flexible digital negative. There's just so much more I could do with a RAW file, compared to a negative.
But I can see why so many people still use film. There is a special quality to it.

Once you get your scanning bugs worked out, you're gonna be a lot happier.
That Plustek is great scanner for 35mm. Have you gotten the TMAX back yet?

I didn't shoot the Tmax yet. I purchased an FG with 35mm lens, and 50mm lens, to use exclusively for BW. That way, I could take my time, and not worry about finishing out the roll, because I need to use the camera for color shots.
I also have the F100. I use that as my everyday camera, and I finally got a real nice set of color prints back.
First impression is a tremendous amount of detail in the print, WITHOUT the "digital look".
I haven't used the FG yet, because I'm waiting for a new seal kit to arrive.
The guy I bought the camera from, didn't realize the seals were bad, so he ended up giving me the camera for nothing :)

Getting back to the scans... This morning, I ran a couple nice color scans through VueScan. The results were better with less noise, and more accurate color than what I was getting with SilverFast.

Tomorrow is my last day, where I'm able to return the scanner for a refund.
A few people have told me, to try to find a nice Minolta Dimage 5400 II instead.
I'm kinda on the fence with that,and would like your input.

I've allocated a $500.00 budget for a scanner, so that pretty much eliminates the Nikons.

Should I consider the Minolta?

Anothony before you buy any new hardware get the CF systems Colour Neg plugin for photoshop. Perform raw positive scans and use the plugin to convert your c41 and B&W work. You will thank me later. LOL
As far as scanners goes I would start with the V600 or V500 epson and use A&R glass on top of your film emulsion, no need for holders. After you get your process down and know you are really in to scanning and shooting
film get a dedicated film scanner or highend Epson.

Anothony before you buy any new hardware get the CF systems Colour Neg plugin for photoshop. Perform raw positive scans and use the plugin to convert your c41 and B&W work. You will thank me later. LOL
As far as scanners goes I would start with the V600 or V500 epson and use A&R glass on top of your film emulsion, no need for holders. After you get your process down and know you are really in to scanning and shooting
film get a dedicated film scanner or highend Epson.

I won't get another scanner. But I won't have a problem shooting a few rolls of film, and getting them developed.
I still like photo albums :)

Congrats on your decision! Film is ridiculously rewarding, moreso than even digital in my opinion. I'm not actively shooting it because to be completely frank I can't really afford the expense of film recently, but once I'm in a better spot, financially, I'll be right back at it :)

Congrats on your decision! Film is ridiculously rewarding, moreso than even digital in my opinion. I'm not actively shooting it because to be completely frank I can't really afford the expense of film recently, but once I'm in a better spot, financially, I'll be right back at it :)

I found a very conservative approach.

Walgreens' film 24 exp 1.49.
Negs only 1.89.

4 bucks, you're set :)

Shooting 35mm seems to be cheaper than 120 as far as developing is concerned. I really want an F5 or F100 or something at some point. Four bucks is a good price to spend for a day of shooting :)

I just picked up a roll of Portra 120 that took 10 days turnaround through
Wallet World, still 84c for developing, and they returned my 620 spool as
requested (from one of my Brownie Hawkeyes). Where you pay is for E6
processing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom