Butterflies and Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by tuthill, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Really nice set, I've just got a Sigma 180 and also have D300, so, its nice to see it's capabilities in a good set of hands. Did you use a tripod for these ?

2. Thanks.

No, I didn't use a tripod. I find that with the R1C1 I don't need one. When I don't use it I can usually balance the lens on my leg or arm and get sharp shots but not as consistently as with the close up lighting system. I use the tripod sometimes if I'm just shooting stuff in my yard but I hate taking it into the bush. Tried a monopod but just can't get the hang of it plus it always seems to be at the wrong height at the wrong time (ditto for the tripod):-(

3. Wow, nice detail in the close ups!

What settings are you using on the R1C1?

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Very nice set. Sharp and colorful.

5. Thanks.

I'm using 3 SB-R200 speedlights with one at the top of the ring and one on each side. I've found the lights a little underpowered so I dial in +.7 FC. Other than that everything else is at default settings.

6. Thanks Torben.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    The eyes on that second image are fascinating...Nice.

8. Thanks.

I find the butterfly eyes to be the most interesting part of them. I'm always amazed at how such a beautiful insect can have such a dog ugly face:)

9. amazing captures :) the details are incredible (makes me want to go get a macro lens)