Butterflies and Spiders

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PGB, Jul 31, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Had the opportunity to visit the Botanical Garden today in Huntsville. Met up with "Flew" (frank) to do some shooting. After prying my newly acquired, or should I say Leigh's newly acquired lens from his camera these are what I got. All taken with the D2x and the 200f4 micro.

Comments and critiques welcome. I had to use flash on some of these. I really need to learn how to effectively use the SB-800. The first outing with this lens proved to be different than what I'm used to. I like it and hopefully will learn to use it better as I have more opportunities and subjects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick, these are awesome. So awesome in fact that I'm not going to bother to post my shots. :lol:

I told you that you would like Leigh's new lens. 8)

3. Patrick,

Your images are outstanding! They live up to the reputation of the 200mm Micro. The detail and DOF are wonderful. I still want that lens, I just can't justify it... :lol:

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Frank,

Thanks buddy :) I had a great time today. We really have a great little place over there.

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Crystall,

Thanks so much. I am a big fan of yours and am flattered that you think mine are good.

On a side note I just wanted to say that you are probably one of the nicest folks in the Macro forum. Its really great to share photography with such great people and I am honored that you are taking part in our little corner of the net.

Thanks and have a great week!

6. Nice ones Patrick, how big is that spider?

Martin

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd say you did pretty dang good mister! That's quite some detail!!

8. Patrick,

Thank you for the very kind comments. I was just perusing your post again and noticed that the spider is eating a moth! These captures are absolutely outstanding. I think you should consider selling them to science text books or something just as Chris suggested to Frank.

9. Patrick you have taken some great pictures, I particularly like the spider photo, the one before the last. the color are great. Do you have some flower pictures taken with the 200 micro. I am thinking of getting one soon, in time for autumn colorful foliage.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Patrick,

Fantastic Images, all of the. WOW

Echo all the words from the folks above here...

Great job.

11. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Patrick,
    I agree also with all the above comments
    Neil

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thank you everyone for the nice responses.

Martin, the spider was about 3 inches long I would say. Its one of the bigger ones I have seen around here.

Surely there are some things that everyone would have done differently. What do you feel when you see these. I'm looking to work on my technique and need everyone's expertise. Lets here what you would change.

Thanks again, I'm flattered by all of the nice responses. It was a fun day and I enjoyed spending some time with fellow forum member Frank (flew).

Regards,

13. Great shots. Not only does Leigh have a nice lens, you have a good eye. Keep it up.

14. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Muril,

Thanks for the note. I'm working on "seeing" whats out there. One day I hope to "see" a lot better.

Thanks,

15. Oooooeeeee, you guys sure grow 'em big down there in the South, dontcha????!!!! These are just terrific shots, esp #5. Love the monarchs - funny how up here, the orange is a lot deeper, and richer in colour - wonder if the heat has anything to do with their colouring???
    There are terrific shots, Patrick.

16. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'll try to work on that for you Gilles. When I post some I'll let you know where to look.

Thanks for checking these out.

17. Patrick, these fit into the WOW category. You are really giving that lens a workout. Congratulations on some fine shots.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sandi,

Our butterflys down here can look rather washed out down here. Could be just thier life cycle
    also.

Get the bug experts on these.

19. Wowzer too!!! Boy looks like you guys had a great time. Is this the af version lens? Dang if I could just get my wife into photography life would be grand, maybe poorer but still ! LOL Beautiful shots, luv the perspectives in #1 and #2 , sharp, contrasty. Great job Patrick!

20. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

Get her a Nikon CoolPix and you'll be amazed at how much she'll enjoy photography. I had a D70 for a short period of time and just didn't have the time or patience to deal with it since I have 2 young children. (Patrick got the D70...upgraded it to the D2h...the finally to the D2X). When I got the CP8800, I really started to enjoy photography again. Now, Patrick and I have a hobby to share together and I'm thinking about a DSLR again!!! LOL We spend all our free time w/our kids in tow riding around trying to find new places to shoot. It's been so much fun.