Butterflies and Spiders

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
Had the opportunity to visit the Botanical Garden today in Huntsville. Met up with "Flew" (frank) to do some shooting. After prying my newly acquired, or should I say Leigh's newly acquired lens from his camera these are what I got. All taken with the D2x and the 200f4 micro.

Comments and critiques welcome. I had to use flash on some of these. I really need to learn how to effectively use the SB-800. The first outing with this lens proved to be different than what I'm used to. I like it and hopefully will learn to use it better as I have more opportunities and subjects.



Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Patrick, these are awesome. So awesome in fact that I'm not going to bother to post my shots. :lol:

I told you that you would like Leigh's new lens. 8)
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Patrick,

Your images are outstanding! They live up to the reputation of the 200mm Micro. The detail and DOF are wonderful. I still want that lens, I just can't justify it... :lol:
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
Flew said:
Patrick, these are awesome. So awesome in fact that I'm not going to bother to post my shots. :lol:

I told you that you would like Leigh's new lens. 8)
Frank,

Thanks buddy :) I had a great time today. We really have a great little place over there.
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
CrystallP said:
Patrick,

Your images are outstanding! They live up to the reputation of the 200mm Micro. The detail and DOF are wonderful. I still want that lens, I just can't justify it... :lol:
Crystall,

Thanks so much. I am a big fan of yours and am flattered that you think mine are good.

On a side note I just wanted to say that you are probably one of the nicest folks in the Macro forum. Its really great to share photography with such great people and I am honored that you are taking part in our little corner of the net.

Thanks and have a great week!
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
35,178
Location
Arizona
Real Name
Chris
Patrick Bramlett said:
I really need to learn how to effectively use the SB-800. The first outing with this lens proved to be different than what I'm used to. I like it and hopefully will learn to use it better as I have more opportunities and subjects.
I'd say you did pretty dang good mister! That's quite some detail!!
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Patrick Bramlett said:
On a side note I just wanted to say that you are probably one of the nicest folks in the Macro forum. Its really great to share photography with such great people and I am honored that you are taking part in our little corner of the net.

Thanks and have a great week!
Patrick,

Thank you for the very kind comments. I was just perusing your post again and noticed that the spider is eating a moth! These captures are absolutely outstanding. I think you should consider selling them to science text books or something just as Chris suggested to Frank.
 
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
1,602
Location
Québec, Canada
Patrick you have taken some great pictures, I particularly like the spider photo, the one before the last. the color are great. Do you have some flower pictures taken with the 200 micro. I am thinking of getting one soon, in time for autumn colorful foliage.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Patrick,

Fantastic Images, all of the. WOW

Echo all the words from the folks above here...

Great job.
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
Thank you everyone for the nice responses.

Martin, the spider was about 3 inches long I would say. Its one of the bigger ones I have seen around here.

Surely there are some things that everyone would have done differently. What do you feel when you see these. I'm looking to work on my technique and need everyone's expertise. Lets here what you would change.

Thanks again, I'm flattered by all of the nice responses. It was a fun day and I enjoyed spending some time with fellow forum member Frank (flew).

Regards,
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
SilverEagle said:
Great shots. Not only does Leigh have a nice lens, you have a good eye. Keep it up.
Muril,

Thanks for the note. I'm working on "seeing" whats out there. One day I hope to "see" a lot better.

Thanks,
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
14,469
Location
Toronto Canada
Oooooeeeee, you guys sure grow 'em big down there in the South, dontcha????!!!! These are just terrific shots, esp #5. Love the monarchs - funny how up here, the orange is a lot deeper, and richer in colour - wonder if the heat has anything to do with their colouring???
There are terrific shots, Patrick.
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
Gilles said:
Patrick you have taken some great pictures, I particularly like the spider photo, the one before the last. the color are great. Do you have some flower pictures taken with the 200 micro. I am thinking of getting one soon, in time for autumn colorful foliage.
I'll try to work on that for you Gilles. When I post some I'll let you know where to look.

Thanks for checking these out.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Sandi,

Our butterflys down here can look rather washed out down here. Could be just thier life cycle
also.

Get the bug experts on these.
 
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
3,423
Location
Edmonton, Alberta
Wowzer too!!! Boy looks like you guys had a great time. Is this the af version lens? Dang if I could just get my wife into photography life would be grand, maybe poorer but still ! LOL Beautiful shots, luv the perspectives in #1 and #2 , sharp, contrasty. Great job Patrick!
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
8,677
Location
Alabama
Keith said:
Dang if I could just get my wife into photography life would be grand
Keith,

Get her a Nikon CoolPix and you'll be amazed at how much she'll enjoy photography. I had a D70 for a short period of time and just didn't have the time or patience to deal with it since I have 2 young children. (Patrick got the D70...upgraded it to the D2h...the finally to the D2X). When I got the CP8800, I really started to enjoy photography again. Now, Patrick and I have a hobby to share together and I'm thinking about a DSLR again!!! LOL We spend all our free time w/our kids in tow riding around trying to find new places to shoot. It's been so much fun.
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom