Butterflies, Bees, and a Skipper

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Al D., Sep 16, 2008.

1. Al D.

Al D.

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Florida
    Some recent images taken in my front yard.

_DSC4932.

_DSC5376.

_DSC5382copy.
    _DSC4561.

_DSC5355.

_DSC4586.

_DSC5016.

2. CAClark

CAClark Guest

Why no comments on these? I don't understand this place.

Lovey shots, especially the bee, the patterns on it's eyes are great :) 

Cheers!

3. Al D.

Al D.

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Florida
    Craig,
    Thank you. Glad you enjoyed them.

Al

4. Crave

Crave Guest

The second and sixt are very good!
    The noise is a bit high, did you croped them?

5. Al D.

Al D.

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Florida
    Crave,
    Yes, they were all cropped to some extent. I saw the noise and tried to smooth it out some with NX2. No.2 and No. 3 were actually very underexposed initially. I started shooting very fast with the previous day's setting and failed to check the histogram...duh!

Al

6. You have some nice shots, good composition and color, maybe it is just my old eyes, but the pics seem to lack detail and sharpness. What was your set up? Look forward to more pics.

7. Al D.

Al D.

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Florida
    Tom,
    I am using a D300. The first one was with a 300mm f4 + 1.7 tc on a tripod from a distance of about 18-20 ft. as I was in a "blind" waiting for a hummingbird to show up. The bf showed up and I could not change lenses or move out of the blind fast enough. So, this image is greatly enlarged. The last one was shot with the 90mm Tamron macro, hand held. The others were shot with the 300mm and a 36mm extension tube at 1/500 hand held. I have had others comment on the softness of my images. Maybe I need to add a little more sharpening in the camera and a little more contrast. Thanks for the comments.

Al

8. Well nice shots, considering the setup, 300mm and tubes hand held is way beyond what I would attempt at my age:smile:

"more sharpening in the camera " Do you shoot in raw??

9. Al D.

Al D.

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Florida
    Tom,
    Yes, I shoot in raw. I use ViewNX to do my initial culling and then NX2 and/or CS2 for any post processing.

Al

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.