1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Butterflies - Brookside Gardens - part 1

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Vienna Pics, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    We went to Brookside Gardens, Wheaton, Maryland to scope out the Butterfly exhibit that they have. Here are some of what we saw:

Feeding time: (They are big guys)

[​IMG]

Mournful Owl Butterfly - Caligo eurilochus (Big!)

[​IMG]

Julia Longwing Butterfly - Dryas iulia

[​IMG]

Zebra Longwing Butterfly - Heliconius charitonius

[​IMG]

Atala Butterfly - Eumaeus atala (short DOF)

[​IMG]

Red Craker Butterfly - Hamadryas amphinome

[​IMG]

Malachite Butterfly - Siproeta stelenes

[​IMG]

Mournful Owl - Caligo eurilochus Butterfly (Big)

[​IMG]

2. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Wow. That is a great exhibit and wonderful pictures. How many varieties did you shoot? I haven't tried shooting butterflies yet but those amazing colors make me think about trying. Nice work.

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks Chris, I will have to add them up - Crystal is helping me ID some other's that I am having problems finding and will post after they are ID'ed. I want to go back, I know I missed some - Brookside indicates they have over 77 kind but I am not sure they have every kind at the same time.

4. Wow! Mark, these are beautiful!!! One of these days i've got to get over there and take a look....

5. Mark,

I'm glad you made it to Brookside. Looks like you had a great time. We really should meet at the garden before the end of the exhibit. I am working on identifying the rest of your butterflies!! Thanks so much, these photos really made my day!!

6. Maybe we locals should plan a Butterfly Exhibit/Brookside Gardens mini-Cafe Meet-up? I'm game! :smile:

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks Connie!

Thanks Crystall - I am off to NH next Saturday so I will be out of pocket for two weekends - I'll check with everyone when I get back.

Sounds like a plan - just need to find a good time.

8. Wow!!! These are simply outstanding photos! The detail is incredable...actually breath taking! :887:

These butterflies are a much better assortment than we have at our butterfly house in Huntsville. I did not know that the Brookside Gardens had a butterfly house. When I lived in Wheaton (for over 33 years) it was simply an arboretum and walking grounds. They later added the gazebo area and a lot of weddings were shot there. Matter of fact I courted my wife many times walking those grounds with her little dog!

Once again stunning shots!

Regards...Jim

9. I loved the Butterfly House at the Botanical Gardens in Huntsville. It was disappointing that it wasn't open this year when we were all there in March! Looking forward to next year's visit already.....

10. WOW! Talk about gorgeous! What a fun time you had! Keep em comin!

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thank you for your kind words Jim - glad you could share your history of Brookside with us - it must hold kind memories for you.

Connie, sounds like we need to set a date and head off to Brookside!

Thank you Jim! They are a little smaller than Elk but they are nice to shoot.

Thank you kindly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.