Butterflies from The Tennessee Aquarium

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Leigh, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The butterfly garden at The Tennessee Aquarium is amazing. They have somewhere around 30-40 varieties of butterflies!!!! Here is my sampler...

Butterflies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just to show how friendly they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice collection Leigh...
    I really like the last one the way you have the girl in focus.. Very nicely done.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Leigh. In fact, some of the best BF shots I've seen. :smile:

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Very nice shots, Leigh. I would love to spend some time in your Aquarium. I never knew that butterflies were really fish! :confused:

Gordon

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I had so much fun yesterday. I wasn't really there to take pictures, but I figured I would be in trouble (w/patrick) if I didn't at least get a few while I was there. If any of you ever have time to go to the Tennessee Aquarium, it is a really cool place! The worlds largest aquarium!!! They have sharks, rays, pirhana, aligators, snakes, turtles, sturgeon....and of course the amazing butterfly garden on the rooftop! It's a 2 hour drive from Huntsville, AL and well worth the drive.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wonderful. I would love to visit a butterfly aquarium. We don't have one here. Love the pictures of the children and the butterflies.

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    For anyone interested in visiting...here is the link to the Tennessee Aquarium Web Page
    http://www.tennis.org/

8. Those are great, Leigh! It's neat how they're so used to people that they'll land right on your hand. Very nice pictures!

9. When I saw this thread my first thought was:
    "What kind of banana-boat goes to an Aquarium and posts Butterfly Pictures?????, shouldn't it be the Tennesee Butterflyarium for crying out loud???" :wink:

Nice shots, I like how a number of zoos and such have added butterfly exhibits over the last several years, they are quite interesting. Sometimes it is even more interesting to watch the people. For me the most interesting are the boys who don't want to admit to their friends that butterly's are quite cool, but they just can't help grinning when the butterfly's land on them :smile: .

Nice shot's, Leigh, it is often tough to capture these flighty little things.

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

me too,,, the last one is great :smile:
    well done

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama

12. Crisp, clear shots Leigh. The butterfly's are pretty.

13. Nice butterflys Leigh. Great control of depth of field on these. What lens and settings did you use?

14. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. There were some species of butterflies there that I had never seen. There was one that was bright blue and about 5 or 6 inches across. I never could get him to sit still long enough to get good shot though...why wouldn't he cooperate? :wink:

Dennis,

This was my trusty CoolPix8800! I love that little camera. I had the camera set on the macro setting and Program mode.

15. They are all good but the first and third are amazing

16. Leigh these are very nice shots. It makes me want to take a trip to our local exhibit. Maybe I can get Bill to go with me.

17. Leigh,

Excellent series but my favourite is the number 3 with the different perpective - very nice!