Butterflies/Moths at Hagerman (3 photos)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by mxmark, May 21, 2007.

1. mxmark

mxmark

Jul 9, 2006
    DFW area, TX
    Well, despite the lake being flooded we found plenty to shoot at! I'm thinking the butterflies are in migration - we saw tons of them! When I wrestled the camera from Dianne, I got these.....

508678902_60b1571979_o.

View attachment 96811

View attachment 96812

2. Well I'm damned!1 I had no idea that you had the third butterfly in the USA. It is very rare in Europe and is known as the Camberwell Beauty or the Mourning Cloak.

By the way, did you know that you have the pupae of a ladybird in the second one that shows a Red Admiral Butterfly.

BW. Bob F.

3. Same here!

It is not so rare (but far from common) in C-Europe, particularly in spring. I once found a lot of eggs on a birch tree in our garden and reared them. After a month or so I released about 50 of them in a nearby forest.

Cheers

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Dianne

5. LOL, thanks Gale, but wrong photographer! mxmark got these!

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Mark,
    Nice butterflies! Good to see you out shooting....no reason for Dianne to have all the fun!:wink: I guess you are just going to have to get more gear so you don't have to share. That's how it happened with Patrick and me! He didn't want to share, I didn't want to share....I got my own gear!

Let's see more pics!!

7. Wonderful!! Hurray the butterflies are on the way!! More photos please!!

8. Nice shots, Mark!

3rd one quite dark...

I´m with Harry that it´s not that rare here, but not common eather. Last weekend we saw several of these, but we were after dragons and damsels so I got only one of those photographed...

9. mxmark

mxmark

Jul 9, 2006
    DFW area, TX
    Thanks for looking Bob! Nope, I had no idea what I was shooting at - just butterflies! Guess I better pay attention!

Thanks Harry! I better have Dianne get us a butterfly book!

Thanks Leigh! I shoot what's on my side of the truck/van, and Dianne gets what's on her side! :rolleyes: works out pretty well!

Thanks! We'll go again if it ever quits raining long enough!

Thanks! It was fun just driving around and watching everyone's reactions.