Butterflies/Moths at Hagerman (3 photos)

Well, despite the lake being flooded we found plenty to shoot at! I'm thinking the butterflies are in migration - we saw tons of them! When I wrestled the camera from Dianne, I got these.....

508678902_60b1571979_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 96811

View attachment 96812

Well I'm damned!1 I had no idea that you had the third butterfly in the USA. It is very rare in Europe and is known as the Camberwell Beauty or the Mourning Cloak.

By the way, did you know that you have the pupae of a ladybird in the second one that shows a Red Admiral Butterfly.

BW. Bob F.

Well I'm damned! I had no idea that you had the third butterfly in the USA.

Same here!

It is very rare in Europe and is known as the Camberwell Beauty or the Mourning Cloak.

It is not so rare (but far from common) in C-Europe, particularly in spring. I once found a lot of eggs on a birch tree in our garden and reared them. After a month or so I released about 50 of them in a nearby forest.

Cheers

Hey Mark,
Nice butterflies! Good to see you out shooting....no reason for Dianne to have all the fun!:wink: I guess you are just going to have to get more gear so you don't have to share. That's how it happened with Patrick and me! He didn't want to share, I didn't want to share....I got my own gear!

Let's see more pics!!

Nice shots, Mark!

3rd one quite dark...

I´m with Harry that it´s not that rare here, but not common eather. Last weekend we saw several of these, but we were after dragons and damsels so I got only one of those photographed...

Well I'm damned!1 I had no idea that you had the third butterfly in the USA. It is very rare in Europe and is known as the Camberwell Beauty or the Mourning Cloak.

By the way, did you know that you have the pupae of a ladybird in the second one that shows a Red Admiral Butterfly.

BW. Bob F.

Thanks for looking Bob! Nope, I had no idea what I was shooting at - just butterflies! Guess I better pay attention!

Same here!

It is not so rare (but far from common) in C-Europe, particularly in spring. I once found a lot of eggs on a birch tree in our garden and reared them. After a month or so I released about 50 of them in a nearby forest.

Cheers

Thanks Harry! I better have Dianne get us a butterfly book!

Hey Mark,
Nice butterflies! Good to see you out shooting....no reason for Dianne to have all the fun!:wink: I guess you are just going to have to get more gear so you don't have to share. That's how it happened with Patrick and me! He didn't want to share, I didn't want to share....I got my own gear!

Let's see more pics!!

Thanks Leigh! I shoot what's on my side of the truck/van, and Dianne gets what's on her side! :rolleyes: works out pretty well!

Wonderful!! Hurray the butterflies are on the way!! More photos please!!

Thanks! We'll go again if it ever quits raining long enough!

Nice shots, Mark!

3rd one quite dark...

I´m with Harry that it´s not that rare here, but not common eather. Last weekend we saw several of these, but we were after dragons and damsels so I got only one of those photographed...

Thanks! It was fun just driving around and watching everyone's reactions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom