Butterflies, now and then

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by gvk, Oct 22, 2005.

1. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    My wife and I were in Boston last month visiting our eldest son. One afternoon while we were walking through the Boston Common, I spotted a few butterflies enjoying the late Summer sunshine. When my wife and son realized that I had disappeared, they returned to find me chasing this one with my D2X and 60 mm f/2.8 Micro.

[​IMG]

After she stopped laughing, Cynthia reminded me of a another photo expedition, many years ago. It was the summer of 1977, and we had been married for just over a year. Cynthia had recently become interested in photography, and was learning to use my Nikon equipment. Late one afternoon we were shooting at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, NY. Cynthia had a 55 mm f/3.5 Micro on one of my F2 bodies, and was working intently over a group of flowers. I had a 105 mm f/2.5 on another F2, and was trying get a candid shot of her concentrating. Suddenly a group of butterflies descended upon the gardens. I quickly popped an extension ring between the 105 mm and the F2, and started chasing them around. Cynthia was furious with me; she was there first, and she was sure that my pictures were going to be better than hers! Well, I tried to stay out of her way, but I didn't stop shooting. Here is my favorite from that day, taken on Ektachrome 64 and digitized using a Nikon Coolscan 4000.

[​IMG]

Well, we're still married all these years later, so I guess she was not really that mad at me after all! :smile:

2. Beautiful shots, love the second one.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Butterflys.

Oh yes I have had a chasing them from time to time. Most of the time they win :>)))

4. Nice shots, Gerry. Congratulations for a long-lasting marriage !!! Good and bad, we will share them together for life. :smile:

5. Nice shots...and.....great story :smile: