Butterflies shot in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by vincebeus, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Hello everybody,

I saw some nice photo's of butterflies and flowers on here so i thought lets share some butterfly photo's i shot this week. Any comment or reply or critiques are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are more photo's of butterflies and flowers:

http://home.planet.nl/~beuse228/d2x/Butterfly/index1.html

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Quite Beautiful.

Went to your gallery. Super great job. Really nice images

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Really nice images. Love the last one!
    J. Snider

4. Thanks for the fast replies and kind reactions to my images.

5. I find the butterflys and flowers just as beautiful in the Netherlands as they are in the USA. Well done images.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    They are all exceptional. The last however takes the cake. I love it. It is perfect.

Thanks for sharing

7. I hope you don't have the same weather as i have right now. Rain, Thundering and lightning. It is really sad weather this year. Or to dry and hot weather or to stormy and cold. Not nice summer weather.

But at least i had some nice photo's the days it was fine.

8. Very nice Vince. I like the flowers too, well done.

Regards,
    Jonathan

9. I was told by some person that the buttefly on the last photo haves sort of face of a snake so if it gets attacked by a bird it closes his wings like on the photo. And the bird thinks it is a snake and flies away.

The last one is more beautifull with his wings open because it has beautifull blue color but it is almost impossible to photograph.

Thanks for the nice reply

10. Vince.
    The person who told you about the 'Face of a Snake' has his wires well and truly crossed. What you have photographed is one of the Brassolidae family which could be Caligo eurilochus or menmon but lots of this species are very very similar so I cannot be certain.
    They are known the world over as THE OWL BUTTERFLIES and it is not difficult to see why.
    They are dawn and dusk fliers in the rain forests of South America and sit when settled with their wings closed. If they are under attack by a bird or a SNAKE then they open their wings, which creak, and the snake or bird finds itself looking at a pair of OWL TYPE EYES.
    This action frightens off the predators, especially snakes, as owls eat snakes!!
    The Dorsal view, (wings open,) is very rarely seen.
    I kept and bred this species for some years and their larvae are incredible in size, 20/30cm plus, and shape, ( they look like green or brown giant slugs,) The larvae feed on banana leaves and live and feed in colonies.

Best wishes Bob F.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Vince. All good, but I too really like the last. :wink:

12. The only thing i know about this butterfly that it looks like this when it sits on a tree and when it is really hot weather it flies and haves beautifull bleu color. Here is a photo of it that i took some months ago with my D70 but trying to photograph it is difficult. I have shot once this butterfly but it was having a piece of his wing and was against a foam board against a wall.

[​IMG]

I hope you now can see what kind of butterfly it is? I thank you for your information is nice to know more about butterflies they are beautiful insects.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

13. Thanks Flew,

I love this butterfly but i looked on internet for it but i don't know what kind of butterfly it is maybe somebody can tell me?

[​IMG]

14. Your blue one is a species of Morphidae. Not sure which one though. Could be Morpho menelaus or M.hyacinthus or another one entirely. Normally in Butterfly exhibitions they have M. peleides but I do not think that this is one.
    In the olden days they used the wings of this species to make rings-broaches, ashtrays etc. due to the colour variation that the light gives the wing as it is moved about. This is caused by refraction, and is a fascinating process but it would be too long to tell here.
    I need a dorsal ie. wings open, view of the last one with the white flash on the underwing.. I know the family but not the species.

BW. Bob F.

15. Very nice compositions

16. Thank you for explaining. I get more and more excited to make more photo's of butterflies. There are so many different species of them.

17. Thank you Gilles

18. About 140.000+ species of Lepidoptera of which 20.000 plus are butterfliesand 120.00 plus are moths.

BW. Bob F

19. Ok so i got about 19.980 more butterflies to go at least.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

20. Sorry but you have more than that. What about the subspecies plus the aberrations and geomorphs!!!

BW> Bob F.