Butterflies with 70-200 f2.8 + 500D

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Vinod Menon, May 30, 2005.

1. A few shots I got from a butterfly exhibit, still in the process of identifying them. I used the 70-200 VR lens with the Canon 500D close up filter. There are few more at http://www.vinodmenon.com/gallery/Macros

Comments most welcome! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Most excellent! one and three are my favorites. Good job.
    Jerry Snider

3. Beautiful captures Vinod.
    Thanks for sharing.

Mike

4. Simply beautiful Vinod. Colors, details and sharpness are amazing. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

5. Those are great Vinod, color, composition and light they have it all.

Martin

6. These are nice.

1&3. Are the American version of the Painted Lady. Vanessa cardui

3. Is Dione vanillae. The American Gulf Fritillary.

4. I think it is the yellow form of Papilio glaucus.

All of them are native to some part of the USA.

BW. Bob F.

7. Thank you Jerry, Mike, Dao and Martin! I am always amazed by the beauty of these creatures. :) Appreciate the comments!

8. Hi Bob,

Thanks for the identification! :) I couldn't identify the painted lady with the wings folded up...and for some reason, my butterfly book didn't have the gulf fritillary in it.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, 1 and 3 are my favorites as well (w/one taking a top spot!!!). Fantastic shots. We've got the same types of specimens at our butterfly garden locally, but I have yet to master the technique for capturing them as well as you have...Well done and thanks for sharing.

10. kengo

kengo Guest

Just wondering, how far away is the lens from the subject.

11. Thanks very much, Leigh! I liked #1 too with the furry belly :lol:

12. The front of the lens is about 12-15 inches from the subject...that is the only distance at which it focuses.

13. kengo

kengo Guest

Been wondering how that close up filter works? You just pit the lens to infinity and focus by moving back and forth? Can't you change your distance then manualy focus the lens?

When I use a +3 filter, I compose then manualy focus the lens to get focus.

14. These are very nice. I love #3. Thanks for sharing.

15. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I have the same setup. Guess I need a trip to the butterfly house here in Huntsville. Very nice shots by the way

16. I use auto focus most of the time, the close up filter reduces both the minimum focusing distance AND the maximum focusing distance. So you have to be in the range of around 12-16 inches from the front of the lens(70-200) to be able to focus(manual or auto). Can be a pain at times...

17. Thanks Vinh and Greg for the comments! :)