Butterflies

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by gmaker1, Feb 17, 2005.

1. A few weeks ago, I went to the Butterfly House at Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. Here are three of my favorites. More can be seen at my website. I do not have all the names of the butterflies because the book I bought does not show all the species. I am off to Barnes and Nobles to buy a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Gil. I can't wait until these guys start showing up around here again. I'm tired of the cold.... :?

Regards,

Frank

3. Well done Gill. Like the #3 most.
    Here.s my take
    [​IMG]

To you and Frank : if you have the opportunity to pass by Montreal, there will be a annual butterflies show hold in the Botanical garden's greenhouses. For 2005, it will be from February 27th until May 1st.

Thanks for sharing

4. Would you like to know

what each of them is called and a little bit about them?

If so post a yes.

By the way have you seen the 2 moth pictures I have posted.

BW. Bob F

5. Dao:

Thanks for the comment. And also thans for the name of the butterfly. I have a picture of the same one but could not find the name.

Bob: As soon as I find out the names, I will repost with them.

Gil

6. Nicely done Gil and Dao. I love butterfly houses and the denizens that live therein. There is no place in nature that you can find so many species in such a small space. I wish I had one nearby. The colors are beautiful.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm with Frank, I don't like the cold. We have a Botanical Garden here in Huntsville that has butterflies every year. I'll have to check it out this year.

Excellent captures,

8. Gill

I think you may have misunderstood.

I know what they are, and wondered if you would like to know and something about the special wing colours and feeding habits of the MORPHO.

I will post these details later.

BW..BOB F

9. Butterflies.

The following are a fairly accurate guess at the IDs of your images.

1. Morpho montezima although the outside wings of this one are VERY similar to the species Dao Dang is showing. Morpho peleides
    2. Heliconious species or an Ithomidae or a Danidae. Sorry for confusion but the Helic. and the Ithom mimic each other and they also have other species that mimic THEM. Sup-species really not determinable.
    3. Danaidae. Idea is the species and gaura is possibly the subspecies. They are very distinctive, large, have a very lazy flight and look like tissue paper.
    They are a typical butterfly farm mix.
    The morpho's inside wings have a coating of oil on them.This is what makes them that gives them that incredible blue and years ago the wings were used in lady's jewelery. They feed on, among other things, rotting flesh, salt and animal urine.
    The Heliconids and Ithom. are truly remarkable. They are the only butterflies that can store food in pouches during a period of no flowers.
    Finally the Danaidae or Tiger/Crow Butterflies. Very poisonous to birds and other predators. Their bodies contain toxins obtained by the larvae from their food plant. I have seen birds being violently sick after eating one of these.
    Hope you find this of interest.

Bw. Bob F.

BW. Bob F

10. Thanks Bob for the fill in. From that I'm guessing that if my dog pee's in my back yard I will have a better chance of attracting a Morpho Peleides. Only kidding of course. I'm lucky if I can attract a white moth.

11. Bob:

Thanks for the identification. I have looked in two books and still was not sure what they were. I should have been smart to take a pamphlet from the farm which identified all that were flying. Thanks again for the info.

Gil

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The first is a Blue Morpho, the third is a RicePaper. I'll pass on the second one for now, my ID chart is home. Another Blue Morpho:
    [​IMG]

13. Baywing:

What book do you use. I have gone through two books and the names you are using are not in any of them.

Gil

14. Gill. Baywingd ID's

You will not find them in any decent book. He is using Common Names and they basically mean nothing. True identification can only be done in Latin.
    It is like calling a Sparrow a Sparrow. What sparrow? Tree - Hedge - Dunnock-House - Brown - Mottled - Desert etc., but put in Pusser domesticus and anybody and everybody can go to a bird book and find out it is the HOUSE SPARROW.
    Take the famous American Butterfly Danaus plexipuss for example. Common names abound. Milkweed- Wanderer- Monarch - Spotted Crow, Poison Tiger ad infinutum
    Sorry about this rant but common name identification is an anathema to anybody with a biological background.
    If you want to know a cheap book for this type of thing then let me know and I will recommend one or two to you.

BW. Bob F.

15. Bob:

Can you recommend a good book for the proper id's? I still would like to give the butterflies the proper names on my web site.

Gil

16. Gil I will list it/them later.

BW. Bob F.