Butterfly Conservatory in Key West

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Aug 10, 2005.

1. This guy years ago had a store where he took farmed butterflies after they died, and made art work. Amazing stuff. We bought one butterfly encased in lucite, but he has one made of dozens in a swirl pattern that sells for $3k that is just awesome. it is 36" across. Anyhow, he went from a small store to having an aviary out back with trees, plants, birds and of course butterflies. I had the h and 17-55, da boss hadthe D100 and nifty fifty. I didnt bring my flash, coulda used it as it is all natural light, mostly shade:

original.
    original.

shoulda stopped down more, but I was handholding and wanted fast shutter speed as I was shooting in awkward positions bent over.

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice images, Harris. I agree that more DOF and flash would have helped, but you got the focus on the head and the images came out nice anyway. Maybe this will create some LLD for a Macro lens????

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Harris. I'm not sure how much better a true macro lens would be unless you just want to get only the head. These are excellent.

4. thanks Don and Frank. I was thinking a true macro lens might be a fun addition to my bag for times like this.

I was pleased considering the lighting, and large aperature settings.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harris,

I am certainly enjoying my new macro lens. It allows me to sneak in a few minutes of relaxing shooting when I don't have time to go down to the pond or somewhere else to find the birdies. You really should look at:

200 Nikkor (AF and MF versions)
    70-180 Nikkor
    180 Tamron
    180 Sigma
    150 Sigma
    105 Nikkor
    90 Tamron
    60 Nikkor

I have seen excellent shots with all of these. In addition, a couple of Cafe members have posted some awesome shots with reversed lenses. Might want to check them out as well.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Harris.

Now that i a place I never saw or knew was there. Hummmmm..

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    good shots. I love the eye patterns on some of these guys.