Butterfly, dragonfly, lily and sunflower!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by sommer, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I am continually stunned by the quality of photos that are posted here, but I'm throwing my lame attempts up anyway, LOL! These are all handheld, because my tripod is a heavy monster and has too many adjustments for my short attention span to cope with...so I leave it in a corner to give the spiders a framework for their webs.

Last weekend we went camping in west Michigan and were surrounded by these gorgeous butterflies:
    29500432_e448fc950e_o.

We also saw this dragonfly over and over:
    29500433_f4692771bf_o.

This is one of my favorite daylilies from home (I love the creamy out-of-focus background here):
    29500434_eb083fc2f1_o.

And this is my first sunflower of the year! We never plant sunflowers, but we do fill our bird feeders with black oil sunflower seeds. It's always interesting to see where the sunflowers pop up. This one is actually close to a feeder, but I have some others starting to flower all the way on the other side of the yard.
    29500435_c520d3a3e5_o.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots. All are good, but the butterfly is my favorite.

Gee, I wonder how the sunflower seeds got all the way across the yard.... :lol:

3. The shots are all very good and colorful. the daylilies is the one i like the most.

4. I am not so sure about the lame attempts, these are all great captures!

I like the sunflower in particular, very sharp for hand held.

BTW, which camera and lens combo are you using?

Regards,
    Jonathan

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Your shots are beautiful..

Just looks on my end, all but that Gorgeous butterfly, could use just a tad curves adjustment up ..

Now don't trust my monitor :>)))

6. Ack, forgot the details! These were all shot with a D70. The butterfly and dragonfly were with the 70-300mm G lens, the butterfly in aperture priority at f/8 and the dragonfly in shutter priority at 1/500, both all the way out at 300mm. The lily and sunflower were taken with the 50mm 1.8D lens, both in aperture priority, the lily at f/2.8 and the sunflower at f/8.

All were simply resized and then USM'd. I still haven't learned to do anything else with PSCS2 yet....it's on my list though...really.

BTW, how do you get your exif data to appear with your photos? I've seen it done here, but I can't even cut-and-paste mine from Nikon View.

Thanks for the nice comments so far. The perfectionist in me sees 101 things wrong with these photos, but I think I'll just hold a pillow over her face until she quiets down ;)

Frank, the question is, is it the birds scattering the seed, or the squirrels? ;) I have one feeder that's for birds only, but the main feeder in front of my kitchen window is fully accessible to the squirrels too (once they learn to jump onto the AC unit, then over to the kitchen window sill, then onto the feeder). The baby squirrels are a hoot and a half, because they can't always make the long jumps. I get a kick out of watching them hang upside down eating the seed. My dogs particularly enjoy it since our windows are large and low to the ground :)

I'm guessing the curves adjustment, as Gale suggested, might brighten these up a bit...after reading that, they do seem a bit dark to me. The butterfly was taken in sunlight and the rest on a cloudy day. Maybe I'll give that a go tonight!

Thanks for the comments all....much appreciated!

7. Hello Sommer -

I also really like the butterfly, and your photo of he/she/it. Was it cool weather so that you could sneak up up on it?

Being from Kansas, I'm always on the lookout for sunflowers - yours is fine and "natural"!

catalyst

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sommer, I really don't know what is scattering the seed, but one of the common ways that nature handles this is for birds and other animals to eat them, then uh, deposit them elsewhere. :lol:

Could be the wind though. 8)

9. Not bad for a "lame" attempt. What will your pics look like when you think of yourself that you gained mastership? :wink:
    Well done.