Butterfly....for lunch

:twisted:

I was out shooting in a small field, there were Skippers, small tree frogs and a Pine White Butterfly.

32028679-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But all of a sudden the Butterfly started tumbling, so I snapped a few of the action then took a look to see what was going on, a Crab Spider had the Butterfly in its clutches hanging from a lifeline.
32028683-L.jpg

Then it pulled it back to the plant, there was some leg kicking but it didn't take long and it was still.
32028684-L.jpg

Then it was ready to see what came along to investigate the Butterfly.
32028686-L.jpg

And this Skipper turned out nicely.
32032785-L.jpg

Martin

Martin:

Interesting series and very well done. Just sorry about the demise of the butterfly, but that's what happens in nature. That's how I stumbled on my spider. I saw a butterfly fluttering but he was stuck in a web...he managed to escape just as the spider was coming down the web.

BAD BAD SPIDEY !!!!!!!

Beautiful images though.

I saw a spider trying to get a bug, forgot what it was, and i let the bug free .. Guess I am bad..

Very excellent series Martin. You amaze me with the micro-fauna that you find. When I go out looking, I see a few hornets and a few ants, but that's about it. Nothing at all like the diversity that you are able to find.

Flew,

And you thought Florida had all the big bad bugs.

You know, out shooting this summer so far no bugs have bothered any of us at all. No no-see-ems no eeters.

They must be waiting for the tasty folks for Merritt III....lololol

Or it is just to blanken hot, even for the bugs.

Thanks for the comments, did you see the spider in the first picture its between the flower bud and Butterfly.

I have heard of Crab Spiders getting Butterflies but never thought I would get to see it, in a whole summer I usually only see two or three Crab Spiders since they blend in so well.

I see lots of ants and wasps also, but if you keep looking you will find something more interesting, fields with wildflowers seem to be a good spot or fields near water so you get the dragonflies.

Martin

Flew said:
CrystallP said:
Incredible series...nature can be brutal. You really do justice to that 200 micro! :wink:

Crystall,

You need that 200.... :twisted:

LALALALALA! Not listening! Trying to get the D2H transaction with Nigel completed!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hee hee! Nope, I am going to get a Sigma ring flash first as soon as I sell my D70 to my...brother! Hee hee! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Then, I might venture down that path. I talked myself out of the Beast as soon as Keith found me a reasonably priced D2H. Amazing how fast that happened. :lol:

Great series Martin, gave me the ebee geebeez! LOL...... amazing taking on something that much bigger, makes us feel insignifcant. Great shots!

Latest threads

Top Bottom