butterfly id please...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Leigh, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I know it's not real sharp and the exposure is blown, but it was so pretty and i'd like to know what kind of butterfly it is if anyone knows. seems to have a bit of damage to is left wing.

20487234-L.

2. Your right Leigh, that is a pretty butterfly. Sorry I am not any help with the ID.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon....maybe someone will know what it is.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    DAO,
    KNOWS :>)) he will be around.

I saw some shaped like that at the butterfly garden. The good ones were to far away and the reggedy ones were close. Go figure :>))

How did you catch him still. Good grief I chased my first butterfly for 1/2 hour trying to get a snap.

Not easy.

Great catch.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale, I bet you are right...Dao will know!

This one was just sitting on that flower by the side of the dirt road where Patrick and I took the boys for a drive yesterday. I didn't see him at first until Patrick showed me. I just leaned out the window and snapped him He held still for about 6 frames, but that was the best one. I didn't expose too well on it because I was snapping so fast to get him before he moved. Our butterfly garden doesn't get going until around the middle of August...I can't wait to go!

6. Nice shot.....I noticed the damage to the wing. Wonder what could have caused that?!?!

7. Nice shot Leigh, I believe this is a black swallowtail...it looks much wider here probably because of the angle you took it at.

Regards,
    -Vinod

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Vinod. He was at an angle, i think he was maybe 3"across?...hard to say. Thanks for the ID.

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The yellow and green really look great! Poor butterfly has a broke wing. :(

Any luck on an ID?

10. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Probably kin to the A-10 Warthog. It can fly with holes as well.

Seriously. Great shot. Love the leg detail.

Was this with the D2H? Have you tried PS/image/adjustments/shadows and highlights? You may be able to get a bot more out of the black.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Patrick. :)
    Greg, this was taken w/my CoolPix 8800. I still haven't taken anything w/the D2H yet. Patrick's like that the way I am about my cooking gear! lol He doesn't touch my Kitchen Aid mixer and I don't touch his D2H....although I'm starting to get antsy to try it out!

As to the PS-stuff....not yet. All I am able to use at this point is Nikon Capture. I'm waiting on my new computer so I'll have something fast enough to run all the programs w/o bogging down. But Patrick says I'll be getting a new computer here in the next week or so. Of course, then I'll have to learn PS and I hear that takes time. But once I do I'll try and come back to this and see what I can do w/it.

Thanks!